News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

On a previous topic it was mentioned that the Sax - Ernestine House Order appears with "S" type sword hilts and also the "roman" flat hilts.

I have a second class (silver) Ernestine house order medal with the "S" (sometimes referred to as french) hilts. I am looking hard at buying a gold (not gilt silver) first class Ernestine with the roman sword hilts.

Sorry I have no pics to show ... so I am hoping those that are familar with this order can understand what I am talking about and can give some guidance.

sooooo my question is:

Do the Roman hilts predate the French ?????? I have been given to understand that this award extends into the the TR period.

If this sounds confused, please excuse me as I am "shooting in the dark". :unsure:

Many thanks,

Rod

Hi Rod,

I am hardly an authority on this order; but I will pass on a few observations. All of the older insignia seemed to have the Roman style hilts; so I believe that it is safe to say that the Roman style predates the French. Yes, this order was awarded (I believe by Carl Eduard as Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) up to 1935; and I believe that these all had the French style hilts.

I hope that this little bit of information is helpful; and, surely, some of our more knowledgeable members will be able to correct and/or add to it.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Rod,

An excellent choice well worth consideration; this order has everything *. Being a relatively early order (founded in 1833) it has older pieces which differ noticeably from their later counterparts. It ranges from the low end relatively available pieces to the rarely awarded and high end exotica; and if you get into the medals to the order, you will be on a chase that will keep you busy for many many years.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Wild Card

* And yet, unlike so many similar orders, they never instituted an officer?s class of decorations.

Well now I have the knights cross in first class with swords with roman hilts in gold (in transit to me), the knights cross in second class with swords with french hilts in silver with gold center, the commanders cross (sans swords) in gold with neck ribbon, and the sash badge (sans swords) in gilt silver and gold center with sash........ :jumping:

BUT!!! ... I am broke for awhile!!! :banger:

HUMMMM ... I am looking at the pooch and wonder if I can sell her :rolleyes:

Nawww ...... I think I will keep her!!! :love: ha ha

Rod

Edited by Rod

Geeee ... sure would be nice to run into someone who is as fascinated with the ernestine house order as I am ..... might even be able to buy off his/hers more common items... hummmm .... interesting :rolleyes:

Rod