News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

here's my most recent spange aquire, 5 medals.

some medals look a bit ''oiled'' on the pictures however this is reflection form the scanning machine.

MVK 2e klasse, Iron cross 2nd class with swords, Kyffh?userbund medal, Tirol deffence medal, service medal 3th class/9 years.

according to a gmic member probalby a vet assembly while the service medal is the last one in the row and it should be the tirol one.

spangepm7.jpg

spange3eq6.jpg

Hallo Heiko, :beer:

but two of them are unofficial veterans organisation pieces from post war, so if regulations are followed, should they not come after the official Military issue?? And if the service medal was the last issue the bar should be rearraged to accomodate the service medal??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

the bar was made after he got the vet award from Kyffh?userbund and the Tyrol medal in the late twenties.... mounting is 1. all combattants awards 2. all vet and other medals (but for combattant service too!!! ) and 3. the long service medal from his own state bavaria (just service - no real combattant medal) ......... so in my eyes everything is 100% correct!!!

greetings

Heiko

the bar was made after he got the vet award from Kyffh?userbund and the Tyrol medal in the late twenties.... mounting is 1. all combattants awards 2. all vet and other medals (but for combattant service too!!! ) and 3. the long service medal from his own state bavaria (just service - no real combattant medal) ......... so in my eyes everything is 100% correct!!!

greetings

Heiko

Hallo Heiko,

thanks for your explanation, So there is no regulation regarding the placing of foreign medals (i.e. the Austrian Tyrol Medal) ?? :speechless1: on German / Bavarian Bars.??

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Absolutely fine. This is a classic "Weimar weirdness" Anything Goes bar. Other than in the military, nobody paid any attention to regulations.

I have no problems with this bar either.

There is a logic to this: official decorations worn in correct native Bavarian precedence, then campaign medals, then the long service.

What is interesting is the MVK2X with the IX Medal. If not a wartime regular or reserve officer candidate passing through this rank after a year of service (not possible with the IX), normally 6 real years of service were required to reach the NCO level (Vizefeldwebel and equivalent) who were eligible for an MVK2X

but war years counted double for regulars' long service awards (1914-1918 = "10 years") so

what this suggests to me is

some sort of technical type like an ordnance NCO or a paymaster or that sort of person who normally spent years in the NCO grades before being commisioned, speeded up for the war and commissioned AFTER earning the IX but before being eligible for an XII. As an officer, there would have been nothing until the XXIV Years Service Cross-- hence the unusual combination of career NCO long service and decoration class. I've seen several groups like this, and had one myself once upon a time:

This one had a mini chain too, but I didn't get that photographed.

Both of these unknowns were NOT "Kapitulant" regular enlisted men past initial enlistment 2 years in 1911/12 since they didn't get the final issue Luitpold Jubilee Medal. So they joined 1910-14, had their IX with "double time" (the Bavarians awarded their long services throughout the war, unlike Prusssia) 1916/18 but was commissioned then and then not eligible for an enlisted XII.