News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The M60 Hungarian Fireman's Helmet

Gents,

I have arbitrarily decided to call this fireman's helmet the M60 model because it appears to have come into use in the 1960s. I do not have any reference to its actual designation but I will try to find that out on my next visit to the Fireman's Museum.

The helmet is silver in colour and is made of layers of silver fibreglass cloth. It is painted silver on the exterior. It is not painted on the interior. The edges of the helmet are protect with a black plastic band running completely around the helmet. This plastic band is rivited into place. The liner is made of leather and appears to be leather pads with compressable plastic foam inside.

If you hold the helmet level there doesn't seem to be a front or a back but there is only one way it will fit on your head and once there it is obvious there is only one way to wear this helmet. The chinstrap is also leather and fastens with a square metal piece on one side of the chinstrap and a hook on the other (right) side.

There is a metal holder on each side of the exterior of the helmet for a plastic face shield that did not come with this helmet. There are also leather tabs, with metal press studs, around the back of the liner for attaching a neck flap which appears to have been seldom worn as I have never seen one in wear in a picture of a fireman with this helmet on.

Frontal view of the helmet.

Edited by Gordon Craig