News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 EKII mm-KO

Hi All...

Having recently purchased another KO marked cross which has a completely different core to my first one, I'm hoping that some of you may be able to enlighten me as to some questions about the maker 'KO'.

Firstly, Does anyone know how many different manufacturers produced crosses with this mark?

Also, I have seen these differing explanations as to what the actual 'KO' stands for. Are they all correct? and is there any way of telling which crosses are attributable to each?

"Konigliches Munzamt Orden, Berlin"

"K?nigliches M?nzamt Abteilung Orden, Stuttgart"

"Kaiserliches M?nzamt, Stuttgart"

Hope some of you can help, as this has been puzzling me for some time!

Thanks in advance,

Regards - Danny

Here's some images of my two KO's showing the differing cores.

Cross 1 - obverse:

They were all made by K?nigliches M?nzamt Orden. They used at least 3 different cores and 2 different size stamps. There's also a considerable weight difference, almost 2 grams, among the various specimens.

Yours appear to be the smaller stamp, These scans illustrate the 2 stamps I know of.

There's speculation that there was some exchange of cores among manufacturers, probably due to production deadlines.