News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Not all numismatists are so disinclined toward medals ;)

Back when I was getting my degree in Classical Studies - Greek & Roman Archeology (I was the only person at my college to get that degree that year), I part-timed at a coin store where another employee was a direct relation of one of the principle curators of the National Numismatic Cabinet. My main interest was in Roman, Byzantine, and early/medieval Russian coins (to include Mongol/Golden Horde coins). I used to do the ancient attribution work for the most part - it was my bag and I was totally in my element. I also collected medals. I was talking with this person and he told me his relation was very interested in having me either volunteer at the NNC or even as a paid employee once I was out of college. They were particularly interested in the fact that not only did I have some knowledge of orders and medals but that I was actually keen on them. In fact, it struck me as a tad odd that they were more interested in that than they were in the Russian part of my experience (at the time I was writing a book on early Russian coins prior to Peter the Great's reign - a project I have long since abandoned). Great, I thought, I had a shot at my dream job out of the gate! Not so quick, young feller. At the time, the Smithsonian was undergoing massive budget cuts and the director was making what I would charitably call asinine decisions regarding the museum's focus, and the NNC was particularly hard struck. I couldn't even get an internship there, so I went off to make my fortune as a... secretary in an industry totally not in keeping with my studies in academia. That's why I work in the high tech industry now. Now that the NNC has been transfered back to the Bureau of the Mint from whence it originally came, who knows what will happen now. I still am an avid collector of coins, in fact probably more so than medals to be perfectly honest, but I for one like to think I have cross-pollinated between the two worlds successfully.

I think the problem lies with the personalities involved. Get the right people and great things can happen. The wrong people, and well, great stuff lies in dusty shelves in perpetuity.

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Schena

I should hasten to add that I am NOT disputing the notion that donations to museums may be a bad idea - on the contrary, that same neglect that befell McKay's collection also befell a lot of stellar stuff in the coin cabinet as well (in fact, that's part of the reason why the Mint took it back). I just wanted to at least chime in defense of some numismatists. I think that there is a lot the two disciplines can learn from each other, but who knows, it may indeed be best for a separate phaleristics department.

Edited by Eric Schena

I should hasten to add that I am NOT disputing the notion that donations to museums are bad ideas - on the contrary, that same neglect that befell McKay's collection also befell a lot of stellar stuff in the coin cabinet as well (in fact, that's part of the reason why the Mint took it back). I just wanted to at least chime in defense of some numismatists.

They aren't all bad, Eric. Some of my best friends are numismatists. :P But they aren't phalerists, and we ought not expect them to be. Case in point: The ANS sales. Did the OMSA make a mistake in giving their library over to the the ANA?

And Eric's point on staff cuts is important. When I was there, the Military and Naval Division had a director and three staff. And I know they had major cuts after I left.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I am definitely with you there, my friend :D The ANS sale disappointed me quite a bit. Their numismatic catalogues/sylloges are fantastic and yet, I did not even know they had such a great holding of medals and decorations until the sale. Perhaps such an institution just for medals might advance phaleristics similarly.

I am definitely with you there, my friend :D The ANS sale disappointed me quite a bit. Their numismatic catalogues/sylloges are fantastic and yet, I did not even know they had such a great holding of medals and decorations until the sale. Perhaps such an institution just for medals might advance phaleristics similarly.

But at least we have the Morton and Eden catalogues of what the ANS collection once was. A good friend of mine gave many things to them, some of which I know never made it into the sale, so this raises some interesting questions. I know he was very disappointed with the almost total lack of care and preservation the things he gave to them were getting and, at the time of his death, was thinking about asking them to give him his stuff back. I'm glad he didn't live to see the sale, though.

But at least we have the Morton and Eden catalogues of what the ANS collection once was. A good friend of mine gave many things to them, some of which I know never made it into the sale, so this raises some interesting questions. I know he was very disappointed with the almost total lack of care and preservation the things he gave to them were getting and, at the time of his death, was thinking about asking them to give him his stuff back. I'm glad he didn't live to see the sale, though.

I remember viewing wall to wall Grand Cross sets in their display rooms, a good many on the German States & Russia. I was surprised not to see them in the catalog. Perhaps a museum should be created for the sole purpose of just

orders & medals run by dedicated collectors.