News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was contacted today by a Gent who said this Blade has been a Family "hand me down" for years . He does not want to sell it but ..he'd like to know a value and find out anything he could about it. I told him I don't deal with Imperial but would post it to see if any of you could help him out.

This is the von Steinau crest (same as on your sword)

The 114 was a Baden Regiment stationed in Konstanz

6. Badisches Infanterie-Regt. Kaiser Friedrich III Nr.114

(Konstanz

s028_1.jpg Regards, Hardy

Thanks for finding and posting that Hardy ..I know he'll love seeing that Crest . He might have to do some Family research now to find the connection. ...I was wondering if a date range could be found or if that badge on the handle represented a specific Unit .

The Hilt and wrap show some wear but overall ..I guess it's not that bad considering .

--Mike

The badge on the grip of the sword is the star of the Prussian Order of the Black Eagle which is normally associated with Guards regiments. I'm no expert on German swords, but on the one I own the emblem in on the opposite side of the grip so that it would show while being worn.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Mike,

Major Richard v. Steinau-Steinr?ck commanded the 1st Battalion of Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 114 from 17 February 1898 until his retirement on 19 January 1899. He was still alive in 1910.

Regards

Glenn

Glen , Mike , Naxos ..Thanks you so much for all the info. I just Emailed him and hopefully he'll be able to find his Family Connection now . He said there was also a Medal but , he thinks his Sister has it.

--Mike

Excellent!! , Mike Dwyer good observation - so there is a Garde connection and he wore the Garde Stern on the inside because he was actually serving in another Regiment.

Regards, Hardy

Guest Rick Research

No work for me on this one! :cheers::cheers:

About all I can add is that the scabbard was originally a nickled 2 ring suspension type, which had the lower ring cut off in 1906 to update regulation wear and then was blackened in 1910 keeping current without buying a new one: quite typical of older cheapskate officers!

It's too bad that it had such TOUGH storage abuse problems. I've never seen one with the lovely fire-gilding on the brass completely gone and patina'd coppery like this. :( But tell him NOT to polish it up-- that will only make it worse. The brass parts were NEVER shiny, and the "elbow grease" wasted in getting off the patina will completely wear down all the surfaces like used soap. It is what it is. Shining it up will just make it look like a horror and will decrease value.

It can't be anybody else's. There were three cavalrymen in the family-- they did not wear the IOD 89. Nor did the lone artillery officer. A young Leutnant in Grenadier Regiment 7 was killed in 1914, but unless he was Richard's son, he can't be a possible wearer. They did sometimes pass along family arms.

If the blade has NOT been sharpened (professionallY) then it didn't go off to war in 1914.

I don't know how to value this, since basically don't see many swords live anymore. With the condition problems, but being identifiable to a specific nobleman, I'd say $150-200. It would have been double that if it hadn't been left in a damp basement for decades--

and BTW, it is EXTREMELY important that it NOT go back wherever it has been so poorly stored. I don't see any evidence of rust--yet-- and that will literally destroy it. Keep it dry and out of temperature extremes.

Thanks guys ..I Emailed the Owner and relayed all the Info and ..He was blown away at what you all found.

He appreciated everything.

He also said --

"Though it hasn?t been in a ?damp basement? while in my possession I?ll admit I haven?t treated it like a priceless artifact either. It?s been standing in my closet corner. Any suggestions as to how it should be stored? "

He respects the Blade a lot more now that a connection has been established.

Thanks Gents :beer: