News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The General Officers Winter Hat

Gentlemen,

Here are some pictures of a Border Guard General's winter hat. I am not an expert but the fur appears to be real Astrakan and not an imitation Astrakan. All General Oficers could wear this type of cap in the winter. The difference between the different organizations would be the colour of the material behind the cap badge and the clour of the cloth body. Green body and green backing for the Border Guard, a green body and a darker green than the Border Guard for the backing material of the Polizei, grey body and red backing for the Landstriefkrafte, grey body and blue backing for the Luftstreiftkrafte, dark blue body, dark blue backing, and dark blue Astrakan fur for Volkesmarine Admirals.

It is possible that other organizations with senior officers of General rank wore these Astrakan hats in different colours but I have never seen any others than the colours posted here.

Here is the front view of my Border Guard Generals Astrakan hat.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Another view of the hat showing the fibre ring that was put in the hat after manufacture to help it keep its shape. These were removed for wear but often retained and put back in the cap when it was stored for the period it was not worn. As with other General Officers hats, the sweat band is leather.