News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Frack = FROCK-- the knee length civilian coat worn like a tuxedo. Very popular in the 19th century and famously worn by Johnny Cash. Awards are worn in reversed order, highest right to lowest left, angled to fit under the lapel of this civilian coat.

Contrary to the Error That Will Not Die it was NOT worn on naval jackets. Naval officers wore normal straight across medal bars angled with the highest awards down. One of the last pieces George Seymour bought, from a member here, was this 1920s portrait of retired Admiral Wedding, whose medal bar from the mid 1930s George had. Both sold in the Thies auctions-- whereabouts now unknown:

Rick...... thanks so much!!

Seems like everytime I have what I think is a dumb question and hestiate to bother the club, then I do ask, I find that you and others reply with some really great information.

Rod

Rick -

I might add as a side note and I think that you can confirm - if I remember correctly, Admiral Wedding?s bar was divided into two roughly equal parts which were connected by a hinge arrangement.

Do you remember it this way?

Wild Card

Guest Rick Research

I don't remember that one, but von Killinger's was and so was von Hutier's. Theirs were to wear "short form" with the German ONLY awards. Wedding probably had to be divisible to fit in storage containers! :speechless1: