News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A loooooong shot indeed.....

The 12th Bavarian Infantry Regt was in Neu-Ulm, the men got many W?rtt. decorations. The units of its 2nd division in which it was had many men from Augsburg. There was a Lt. d.R. Burkhart in the 11th company of the 12th b.I.R.

I have a 1920 EK1 doc to Leutnant d.R. Franz Burkhardt from Augsburg in Bayern. It was issued by the W?rtt. Bezirks Kommando in Ulm .a.D.

Geographically close... would you guys guess a typo in the name? Anyone have anything listed for him (I guess probably not....)

• 1 year later...
    Guest Rick Research

Time passeth...

and many New Things are discovered, uncovered, and now knowable

but all I can say is that there was neither spelling of Burkhart/Burkhardt commissioned in Bavarian Inf Rgt 12 by April 1916 (secret Stellenliste of that date which Glenn found) and "Burkhardt" seems to have been a fairly common W?rttemberg name, though I can't this minute put my finger on Franz.

But from the OTHER side-- I've got a Bavarian officer's ribbon bar with a W?rttemberg award on it apparently simply because he'd been born across the border in the other direction.

Will have a rummage through the available W?rttemberg sources. Their Personal Nachrichten lists every single silver Military Merit Medal, so if Franz was one of theirs, he'll be in those pages someplace, for that or his commission date.

Guest Rick Research

Aha. Once again the Research Gnome Collective International comes through:

When is a Bavarian NOT a Bavarian? When he's a W?rttemberger. :catjava:

So. All that can be IS revealed. :rolleyes:

From this very late date, wouldn't surprise me if he was 19 and one of those rushed through early training course types. No awards gazetted from W?rttemberg OR Bavaria 1917 or 1918 (I doubt he was around in 1916) so looks like he probably got an EK2 in 1918 (those are NOT gazetted :speechless1: ) and then your 1920 EK1 catch-up.

All you have to do is live forever and eventually data turns up. :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Sure! Wartime reserve officer candidates weren't called F?hnriche!

All due to Glenn's tirelesss efforts! :beer:

Guest Rick Research

Yes indeed. Wartime RESERVE officer candidate, one year's service time in by war's end, 18 months at the beginning of the war. Same rank TITLE but not at all the same "thing" as a REGULAR army career NCO with the same rank designation at 6 years service.