News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KITE 7th Class Keepers

Colin Davie

These 2 unboxed examples are so beautifully toned, photos could never do these 2 justice, the toning really brings out every detail when in the hand, they are completely unmessed with.

C

Edited by Colin Davie

Back of the 2 toned examples, again I cannot capture the toning on my camera, but worth a look.

C

p.s. Thanks to all for sharing on this forum, I look forward to many hours of learning, thanks again. :cheers:

Edited by Colin Davie

Guest Rick Research

What are the three periods? All I know is the little "bow tie" lapel device is older than the French style rosette.

MEIJI - TAISHO - SHOWA

My take on the 3 versions shown above are based on observing the wing tips, which on Meiji has the 3rd feather as longest, and then on to the belt loops for the other 2 which have the 2nd feather as longest, Showa belt has a hole missing. I will edit to say that the Taisho piece came with the ribbon bow type lapel fixing, and of course to acknowledge that Paul's article is far more detailed and better to study than this.

Nice to see you again Rick

C

Edited by Colin Davie

Colin,

You are correct, the one with the long third feather is the oldest and the youngest has one belt loop less. Nice pieces, the Golden Kite has always been one of my favourite Japanese awards, especially the Meiji period pieces since then it still meant something to receive it.

Cheers,

Paul

• 1 year later...

Rather than start a new thread, this one looked appropriate for additional questions. Referring to Paul's pinned thread on Golden Kites and their differences, is it just the pictures or my eye balls, but....

....are the beaks of the kites longer in the earlier versions of the medal? Also, looks like the head is tilted at a different angle early vs. later production....?

I know the order was stricken in 1947 (?) - so no more medals produced - does that also likely mean that the minting hardware for them was destroyed as well???