News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking For A Luftwaffe Oberst

Guest Rick Research

There is the February 1945 regulars Hauptmann and up for flying and General Staff ONLY list-- and that is IT for the Luftwaffe--ever.

The legendary 1942 "all officers" Luftwaffe Seniority List remains undisscovered. :(

There is the February 1945 regulars Hauptmann and up for flying and General Staff ONLY list-- and that is IT for the Luftwaffe--ever.

The legendary 1942 "all officers" Luftwaffe Seniority List remains undisscovered. :(

Hi Rick,

Does Oberst Hans Pampfe (geb.1.9.1892) show up in the Feb. 1945 list? He would have been assigned to the staff of II/FJ Korps at that time. If by flyers you mean that the list only contains "active-aviators," then he won't be in there, but he would have worn yellow piped insignia. I have his soldbuch and am in the dark about his promotion dates. He made Oberst very early in the war (1.2.1940), which leads me to believe that he wasn't an (E) call-up during the mid-1930's.

I tried loading some images of his soldbuch, but they are terrible. My digital camera is not the right tool for taking close-ups of these things. :banger:

Edited by Andwwils

Guest Rick Research

UNFORTUNATELY there are SEVERAL Pampes. The paybook photo showing his awards would certainly help. One was an avitor in the first war. His birth date is something not found in any of the period sources, so need other clues. A list of his WW1 doecrations (not likely, sigh) would be a big help.

UNFORTUNATELY there are SEVERAL Pampes. The paybook photo showing his awards would certainly help. One was an avitor in the first war. His birth date is something not found in any of the period sources, so need other clues. A list of his WW1 doecrations (not likely, sigh) would be a big help.

Like most of the field-grade officer soldbuches that I have seen, from all branches, Pampe didn't record any of his WWI decorations, nor any of his long-service awards. I know he had to have had at least a LW 4yr. His photo is from the shoulders-up, so nothing can be derived from that. BUT... here's what I can add!

Place of Birth: Giessen

Wife's Name: Agnes Pueck

Residence during the war: Potsdam-Golm, Potsdamerstr.4.

Residence when released from British capivity: Muenplatz 11, Hamburg

Awards entered in Soldbuch: KVKIIX 7.11.40, KVKIX 1.9.43, Spange zum EKII 1.5.45

He was released from 2233 PW Camp, Munster Lager by the British Review Board on 10.12.1946

He spent most of the war (1941-1944) assigned to the II Luftwaffe Gas Protection School, stammrole Nr. 57 and was assigned to Gen.Kdo. II Fallschrimjaeger Korps on 10.11.44 when the Luftwaffe was reorganized late in the war.

I have a document with the soldbuch notating that he qualifited for the Luftwaffen Flugzeugfuhrershein and that he had accumulated 200 flying hours between 1936 and 2.6.1940. It is from a unit simply stated as "Flugzeugfuhterschule A/B Werder" and is dated "2.6.1940."

He may have been an aviator in WWI, that sounds pretty exotic, but given that he was flying planes 20- years later (what type is not specified), it would make sense. But the document only lists hours accumulated since 1936, so...

I appreciate the help I get! The photos that I've taken of the soldbuch are too dull to make out any details on the script but I can post them if they would be of aid, but outside of aesthetic purposes to the discussion, they show nothing. This book isn't leaving my collection, so any further information I get on Pampe is going straight to a piece of paper and getting locked in the safe with the book. I know where his KVKIX document is and I'm trying to work a deal to get it, but the rest of his stuff is scattered.

Edited by Andwwils