News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Royal Scots Greys 1914

lazyschnauzer

This will be a mounted figure in 120mm or 1/15th scale.

Head from Michael Roberts, One hand from The Lost Battalion, Boots from Jaguar, Canteen from Model Cellar. All of these kit pieces were modified. The horse is from Dragon and will require quite a bit of modification. I wanted to finish the cavalryman first.

Uniform markings are for a Sergeant of the Royal Scots Greys in France, 1914. His equipment includes:

? M1902 service dress tunic and cavalry breeches in khaki serge

? M1905 service dress cap, badge shows the Eagle of the French 45th Line captured at Waterloo

? Khaki putties wound bottom to top and blackened ?ammunition boots?, with spurs (no spurs yet!)

? M1903 (I think!) haversack

? Leather strapped canteen

? Cavalry mess tin

? Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) MK III 0.303 caliber rifle

? 90 round M1903 leather bandoleer

? M1908 sword and holder (not yet!)

? Universal pattern saddle (eventually!)

The horse will be equipped with a leather rifle wallet, bit and snaffle, reins, bridle, two large leather holster type hold-alls, blanket, wooden horse peg and rope, & canvas horse water bucket

As you can tell, this is WIP and very rough. A large piece of pink Super Sculpey is holding him in the sitting position I want temporarily. I need to thoroughly clean the figure and equipment and do some detailing on the equipment.

Initially I had thought to have the cavalryman aiming his rifle, but changed my mind when I was fiddling with the arms and rifle alignment. I liked this pre-firing pose better. He's squinting into the distance at something which might be a target.

Hope you like it!

All the best,

Dan

This will take several posts to show you all six pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

What colour will the horse be? I once read (perhaps in Dennis Winters "Deaths Men") that during WWI the Scots Greys painted their greys with brown creosote in order to camouflage them, 'tho I would have thought that creosote would'nt do a horse much good.

Yes, I read much the same thing. My painter, who will be the Rod Allison, is eager to do a dapple grey. That would definitely look much better than some attempt to paint a horse camouflaged with creosote. Absolutely right incidentally - creosote would be a bad idea for painting a horse. I've also read they used boot black - far less of a problem, but still not a great idea!

At present, I'm engaged in re-working the figure a bit. I have some folks on the Great War Forum who believe the haversack and water bottle should be on the horse, not the figure. So - I may move them there. Not sure yet. I'll muddle through.

All the best,

Dan

• 5 months later...