News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Full-Bearded Austrian Officer Circa WW1

Hallo Gents :beer:

I picked this picture up at the recent Collectors Fair in Deva.

post-950-1182888865_thumb.jpg

All it has printed on it are the words TOM. BURATO and ZARA on the front.

The medals appear to be:

1. ORDER OF FRANZ-JOSEF, Knights Cross.

2. (?)

3. (?)

4. Officers Military Service Cross.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Guest Rick Research

I'd say the second one from the size is the generic War Medal created in 1873 and awarded for wars 1848-1901/

The third from it's hlaf/half ribbon and small silver size might be something Tyrolean from 1866 but I'm too far out of my field to be sure.

He's a Major.

It was my understanding that the 1873 war medal was on a yellow and black ribbon similar in design to the war ribbon - that second one looks clearly like a solid red ribbon to me?

That is correct but the old photographic material had the characteristic to depict yellow as dark.

the second one shows for me red and white

haynau

a job for a wet day, but at +34? I might have to wait a week or so to see rain :lol:

How are you surviving, Kevin? If there were 34 degrees in Deva, it's not hard to imagine what must have been in the south... :speechless1:

How are you surviving, Kevin? If there were 34 degrees in Deva, it's not hard to imagine what must have been in the south... :speechless1:

Hallo Carol I :cheers:

so far it has been reported that there have been 30 heat-related deaths in Romania, this summer!! :speechless1:

Bucharest is hitting the +40?s :speechless1:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

so far it has been reported that there have been 30 heat-related deaths in Romania, this summer!! :speechless1:

"This summer" probably means the week or so since the heat wave came. Terrible! :o

Stay cool, Kevin! :beer: