News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austria-Hungary-Prussia-Turkey Ribbon bar.

Dear Kevin,

that item looks great :cheers: .

Can you name the orders :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

This one is for the Rickster and his love for ribbons and devices.

I got pipped at the post on this one which has a fascinating combo of ribbons.

It went for 132 US Dollars.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo Christian, :cheers:

Tentative identification of the ribbons:

1. Hungarian Commemorative WW1 Non-Com ribbon.

2. National Defence Cross, issued in 1940 (for acts circa 1920 :unsure: )

3. Faded version of Number 1 with Non Combatant mini (?)

4. Commemorative re-occupation of Transylvania, (1938).

5. Commemoratibe re-occupation upper Hungary, (1940).

6. Bulgaria - Turkish War of 1912-13 Non-Combatant, (1930).

7. Unknown for the moment.

8. Unknown for the moment

9. German, Wemarer Republic, Un-official German Legion of Honour, Veterans Medal.

10. Turkish (?)

Comments & Corrections welcome!!

Hallo Ed, :cheers:

many thanks for the info, could we assume with all the non-combatant ribbons a medical person would have been the owner??

Seeing service with the Bulgarians in 1912 - 1913 through to WW2??

Guest Rick Research

Presumably meant to be noncombatant Bulgarian 1915-18.

Evil Ricky actually spotted this one for me and the devices are quite interesting-- as is wear of the unofficial German medal's ribbon.

I can only assume that there was a second strip with a separate piece worn above with Horthy regime decorations (there must have been SOME) because I can't imagine a WW2 ? career medical officer with zero frontline service 1914-18 without a 1930s long service award and the usual routine service merit decorations, nor getting the Ottoman Order and nothing from anybody else for the First war.

1919+ Hungarian ribbon bars are beyond my experience.

:beer:

There are things wrong with that ribbon bar. The WW1 medal is NC, but the device is a combatant medal. And why would that device be on the Red Cross medal? Rick's theory about a missing row is feasible, but the construction on the rear doesn't fit.

But if he was prominent enough for the Ottoman order and did enough aid work for the Japanese decorations, you would expect at least a Cross of Merit, Austro-Hungarian Red Cross Decoration, and/or maybe even a Franz-Joseph-Orden. Depending on its class, the Austro-Hungarian Red Cross Decoration could come ahead of all of those. Somewhere I have a chart with precedence for both Austro-Hungarian and Regency Hungarian decorations.

Hallo Dave & Rick,

thanks to both of you for your input, you are of course quite right with regards the device being a combatant, I must admit I had to enlarge it before I noticed the bayonets to the rear of the helmet (wheres me guide dog!!).

My id of the ribbons was from:

RIBBONS OF ORDERS AND DECORATIONS OF THE WORLD at:

http://www.medals.lava.pl/index.htm

This one is shown as: Hungary Ww1 Com without swords and Helmet 1929.

This one is shown as: Bulgaria WW1 Non-Combatant (1929).

This one is shown as: Bulgaria, Non-Com in the Turkish War. (1933).

With regards the bar, the ribbons all seem to have the same amount of fading which might mean they have been together for a while or the maker is intelligent enough to source very similar items for his construction.

Ribbons 1 & 3 on the bar, look very similar despite the colour on the first being a little brighter, the width of the bands seemingly larger on the first, could it be a WW2 era make ? :unsure:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers: