News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guys,

I think I may have posted this before, but can anyone decipher what's scribbled here?

Many thanks,

Gaffken

Besides the dates, February 27 1916 and December 25 1915 I can read: Zeki Pascha and Eiserner Halbmond

Hardy

I think between "27 .2. 1916" and "Zeki Pascha" is "vom k.[aiserlich] t?rk. Generalleutnant"

In 1918, Zeki Pasha was a General of Cavalry and Adjutant General of His Majesty the Sultan, and Military Envoy Plenipotentiary to His Majesty the German Emperor (at least that's how it appears on the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk).

Dave, Hardy,

Thanks guys--that's fabulous! I understand German well enough, but I've been scratching my head over what this might spell out for several years now, having shown it to a bunch of folks who were equally stumped. I have to admit that my knowledge of the Ottoman forces is also almost non-existent, so I especially appreciate the info on Zeki--thanks Dave! :jumping: That's great attribution!

As for the other unintelligible words, I always suspected the 2nd word in the 3rd line might be something like 'angeben', while the 1st word in the last line might be a location, but it's still anyone's guess. If anyone else has any thoughts, I'd of course appreciate any help... :cheers:

Gaffken

Guest Rick Research

"27.2.16 vom k.

turk. Generalleutt (SIC)

Zeki Pascha ge-

(sch...t?) erhalten

Eisernes Halb-

mond

verliehen 25.12.1915"

That is REALLY bad handwriting!

I can't place Zeki, so no clue what Corps/front this was.

Here it is, the full text. It took Dave, Rick, myself and a couple of beer to decipher this one

27.2.16 vom k.

t?rk. Generalleutn.

Zeki Pascha ge-

schenkt erhalten

Eiserner Halb-

mond

verliehen 25.12.1915

"February 27 1916, received from the imperial turkish Lt. General Zeki Pascha the Gallipoli Star as a gift.

Awarded on December 25 1915"

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Thanks once again, guys--I'd take you along on a Egyptian hieroglyphics trip anytime! :rock on:

Well, with the mystery solved, here's what was inside the box (in case you were curious...)

(the only one by this maker I've ever seen, though I wouldn't mind seeing another, if anybody has one!)

Gaffken

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:

Ohhho!!!! We need some NICE BIG scans, pleasepleasepleeeeeeeease.

I've never seen a Wagner like this either-- quite unusual to see a German deluxe silver one still using the strange horizontal BB&Co style pin. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Guys,

Unfortunately, I'm a little limited in attaching bigger scans due to my 'probie' status, but I'll do the best I can with the small space that I'm afforded, so here are a couple of scans that I hope you'll like:

Center closeup:

Obverse:

Full reverse:

- do you know the recipient ( i.e. the man with the bad hand writing) of this beautiful and rare Halbmond?

Alas Hardy, I don't. As unbelievable as it may sound, there was no indication when I bought the piece that there was *any* attribution or inscription on the back of the carton, so you can imagine my amazement (and bewilderment once I tried reading the handwriting) when I turned the carton over to discover the scribbling. :speechless1:

Separately, my only thought would be to possibly trace the recipient by award bestowal date, though 1), I'm not sure if this is possible with an Ottoman award from traditional Rangliste (Tim? Rick?), and 2), I'm not really sure if '12/25/15' is an award date so much as it's the date it was gifted to the recipient by Zeki. (so much for all you guys who thought the Ottomans didn't celebrate X-mas, eh? :lol: ) I guess it simply comes down to how one might interpret the use of 'geschenkt' and 'verliehen' in this instance.

This piece is just so chocked full of unknowns that I'm not sure what to expect next! (--any/all help appreciated though!)

Gaffken

:anmatcat:

• 2 weeks later...

Gaffken, going by the inscription the award date is Dec 25, 1915. If anyone, Rick might be able to help with that date.

Would anyone out there with a Ranglist be able to lend some quick help on an a potential recipient to this one? I'd be grateful for anything anyone could provide... :cheers:

Many thanks,

Gaffken