News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pol. Tschako Parade "Bush"

Hello,

We all know that the police wore parade plumes or "bush" on their Tschakos when in full dress. I think some not so obsessed by police collecting might NOT be aware that there were THREE colors of plumes.

As shown in this photo, the standard enlisted man, from all branches wore a black horsehair plume. Officers a white buffalo hair plume. And the one you don't see too often, musicians wore a RED horsehair plume. (not quite as "bozo" red as the flash photo appears)

The officer's buffalo hair plumes are much much finer hair. Much more "glossy" befitting the generally higher quality of their tschakos.

And lastly, a side on of the musician's tschako:

All of these "bush" are supposed to be held to the side of the tschako with an elastic band. Unfortunately elastic doesn't age well and these bands are mostly missing from tschakos in collections.

Regards,

William Unland

I never knew that were different plumes! The red one is very sharp. I would hate to see the price tag on that one! Are there any others out there, that you have seen?

Outstanding collection, Bill!

Hello,

These were the three colors used from 1936 on. There was also a red buffalo hair for "senior" musician nco's, but basically these were the three "bush" used by the police. I don't think any othr branch of government continued the practice of tschakos and parade bush except the police.

As was pointed out to me, general officers wore a black and white rooster feather plume for a very short time during the TR period, but this was a hold over fom imperial times and I have never seen one, nor a photo of one.

Regards,

Bill Unland

In what ways were the Band master uniforms different from the standard police uniform? For the Luftwaffe, the shoulder boards and tabs were completely different and unique.