News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

United States Border Patrol Medals

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

1. Border Patrol - 75th Anniversary Medal

The U S Border Patrol created a special commemorative medal to be awarded to all active and retired Border Patrol officers to mark the 75th anniversary of the Border Patrol in 1999. This is the large medal from that issue.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

2. Border Patrol - Chief's Commendation Medal

U S Border Patrol Chief's Commendation Medal, large regulation size medal. This is one of a series of medals designed by the U S Border Patrol in 2000 and 2001, immediately prior to the September 11 attacks. Most of these medals were never awarded because BP was placed under the Department of Homeland Defense and the agency logos were changed. These are rare medals, and will never again be ordered or issued.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

3. Border Patrol - Excellence in Group Achievement Award Medal

U S Border Patrol Excellence in Group Achievement Medal, large regulation size medal. This is one of a series of medals designed by the U S Border Patrol in 2000 and 2001, immediately prior to the September 11 attacks. Most of these medals were never awarded because BP was placed under the Department of Homeland Defense and the agency logos were changed. These are rare medals, and will never again be ordered or issued.

Obverse:

Reverse:

Darell - The USBP actually came up with a whole series of medals at the time of the 75th anniversary. I have read that the remaining medals...such as the Newton-Azrak Medal for Heroism never were really awarded in great numbers, but I haven't been able to confirm it. The vast majority of medals were styled after military medals a commendation style medal, a "purple heart" type medal, etc... And, military medals can be worn on the dress uniform. I have my USBP 75th anniversary medal in the cardboard mailer. It came with a ribbon, full size medal, miniature medal and a nice lapel pin. I am looking for the other cased awards if anyone knows where to purchase them?

Guest Darrell

I saw a Purple Heart for sale a few months back. Wasn't on this "kick" then. Too bad. They don't come around often. If one does it WILL be mine :rolleyes::cheers:

I saw a Purple Heart for sale a few months back. Wasn't on this "kick" then. Too bad. They don't come around often. If one does it WILL be mine :rolleyes::cheers:

Did you pick up the one from ebay? It went for 200+ I believe. There were two others on at the same time...all went pretty high. I have seen them occassionaly and wonder where they are coming from.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

4. Border Patrol - Purple Cross Medal

The US Border Patrol Purple Cross Medal was created in late 2000 to recognize officers injured or killed in the line of duty. There have been a very few of these medals actually awarded to officers. This is the full presentation set of large medal, miniature medal, and service ribbon, all in the original presentation case.

Medal (and Accessories) Obverse:

Guest Darrell

Case. Unusual, in that it is leather but devoid of all markings as is usually the case with military medals.

Top:

• 5 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    Guest Darrell

6. Border Patrol - Newton-Azrak Medal for Heroism

The last piece of the puzzle arrived today. It's the elusive Newton-Azrak Medal for Heroism. First up a little bit of background behind the medal.

This is one of a series of medals designed in 1999 and only a very few of the medals from this series were ever awarded. This is the highest award of the series, designed to be a rough equivalent to the Medal of Honor, with a similar design. The number issued seems to be a secret, but the numbers have to be in the single-digit range since only ten medals were ever purchased. The Border Patrol has since been incorporated into the Department of Homeland Defense so no more of these beautiful medals will be issued.

Some background behind the name of the medal.

The Border Patrol's highest honor is the Newton-Azrak Medal for Heroism. This medal is bestowed to Border Patrol agents killed in the line of duty. It is also presented to agents for extraordinary contributions, service, or accomplishments reflecting unusual courage or bravery in the line of duty, or an extraordinarily heroic or humane act committed during times of extreme stress or in an emergency.

This award is named for Border Patrol Inspectors Newton and Azrak, who were murdered by a drug smuggler in San Diego County in 1967.