News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peacock Flag: Yellow/Green/Orange

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This silk flag was brough back by a British veteran of the Burma campaign. It is unfortunately too large for me to have scanned it when it was brought by today by a local friend.

The peacock is hand painted and on a separate disk sewn on each side of the yellow over green over orange tricolor. This is all that would fit when scanned.

There are small tie loops of the sort found on Japanese "personal" flags--one of which was also brought back with this.

Is this the ephemeral flag of one of the WW2 local collaborationist puppet regimes or?....

Colors (colours?) would suggest the Burma National Army and Burmese State which worked under Aung San side-by-side with the Indian Natioinal Army (and their Japanese "friends") against European interests in Burma, 1941-45 (when it sniffed the air and changed sides, allowing Aung San to emerge as a credible leader in post-war independent Burma).

See: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/mm-old.html#1943

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: It's always great to be AT The Right Place with The Right People! Thanks, Ed! This is a beauty-- will have to try for a photo of the whole flag.

Guest Rick Research

It is 32 inches by 22 inches and apparently (my mistake) light cotton, not silk. Both sides:

Camera versions darker and dimmer than the real colors as partially seen in the scan.

• 4 months later...

It is 32 inches by 22 inches and apparently (my mistake) light cotton, not silk. Both sides:

Camera versions darker and dimmer than the real colors as partially seen in the scan.

:jumping: Holy S---!!!!!!!!

One of the small sub collection that I have is CBI, a lot of C&I but littel of the"B"Thank You Darrell English