News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Royal Scots Greys Cavalry Sergeant, 1914

lazyschnauzer

I've just completed this one today after months and months of detail work. It's not based on an illustration or photo. I wanted the cavalryman to look like he's just seen something that might be the enemy off in the distance. He's just grabbed his rifle and whirled round, squinting and ready to take aim, feet a little down in the stirrups, raised on one haunch a bit and leaning a little.

Head from Michael Roberts, One hand from The Lost Battalion, Boots from Jaguar, Canteen from Model Cellar, horse from Dragon, French double boiler lying in the grass from Model Cellar.

Uniform markings are for a Sergeant of the Royal Scots Greys in France, 1914.

? M1902 service dress tunic and trousers in khaki serge

? M1905 service dress cap, badge shows the Eagle of the French 45th Line captured at Waterloo

? Rolled mackintosh cape in front of the saddle and rolled khaki greatcoat in back of the saddle

? Khaki putties wound bottom to top and blackened 'ammunition boots', with spurs

? M1902 Haversack

? Cavalry water bottle

? Cavalry mess tin

? SMLE rifle, M1908 leather rifle bucket

? 90 round M1903 leather bandoleer, five pouches in front, four in back

? M1908 sword and metal scabbard in leather cover

? Universal Pattern (UP) saddle

? Wood horse picketing peg and rope, collapsible canvas horse bucket, both strapped to the sword

More photos in subsequent posts!

This will be painted by Rod Allison from New Zealand. Rod has been painting for years and garned many awards, painting hundreds of museum quality figures. I can't wait to see what he does with the dapple grey horse!

All the best,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Leigh - I'm not exactly sure what that tunic is, but I worked from a set of 3 views of a Royal Scots Greys 1914 uniform published in Armes Militaria, a French militaria magazine, several years ago. This is one of the photos. I may have gotten the tunic a little longer than I should have, but I don't think it's off by much. Thanks for your comment!

All the best,

Dan

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Yes, the photo of the man in uniform appears to show the tunic as what the Brits call a bum freezer - it has a vent either side at the rear, so that the rear skirt of the tunic forms a flap, the figurine does'nt have these vents which would be noticable in the turning position that he's in - but which won't matter if that area's covered by equipment.

• 3 weeks later...

Not my eyes - the figurines - well it was doing the figurines eyes back then, but my eyes are going now.

A few minutes ago I bought a medal bar, 7 medals, including a 1914 Star & clasp trio to a Scots Grey.......

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 4 months later...

LOLOL - Your eyes, mine and everybody else's! That's why I only work in 1/16th scale! I invite you to try a large scale figure and see if your eyes can handle it. It's by far the most fun hobby I've ever been involved with.

All the best,

Dan

I would like to see some of your WWII German Work can you post it here on the GMIC for others to see?

Thank you

Lorenzo

Lorenzo - I'm really sorry to disappoint you and possibly others. I'm interested in a specific historical period - about 1870 to about 1930. I'm not saying WW2 is not of interest, but I know the uniforms, equipment and infantry weapons of the First War pretty well. I've done a couple Russo-Japanese War conversions - A Russian sailor on guard ashore won my first gold medal. I completed a commission for a Russian Civil War train guard ca. 1919. I've recently just about completed a commission for a US Marine in North China ca. 1932. Roger Newsome is in the process of painting that one and I'll post him when complete. My figures are mostly Great War however and that's where my interest continues. I'm not saying I won't do another period, just my preferences.

All the best,

Dan

Edited by lazyschnauzer

Lorenzo - I'm really sorry to disappoint you and possibly others. I'm interested in a specific historical period - about 1870 to about 1930. I'm not saying WW2 is not of interest, but I know the uniforms, equipment and infantry weapons of the First War pretty well. I've done a couple Russo-Japanese War conversions - A Russian sailor on guard ashore won my first gold medal. I completed a commission for a Russian Civil War train guard ca. 1919. I've recently just about completed a commission for a US Marine in North China ca. 1932. Roger Newsome is in the process of painting that one and I'll post him when complete. My figures are mostly Great War however and that's where my interest continues. I'm not saying I won't do another period, just my preferences.

All the best,

Dan

I understand.

All of your pieces will preserve the military history during 1870-1930 most of its art paintings, more than original Photographs during that time period. I love all of your models :cheers:

Thank you for posting them all:

Lorenzo