News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Possibly post-WW1 but no later than the early 1930s. No clue what the ring stripes are on his sleeve.

Feldpater Ortner was indeed Austrian:

Order of the Iron Crown (!!!!)

PIIS MERITIS CROSS ON WAR RIBBON (well, you have the RIBBON for one, anyway! :rolleyes: )

1917 Karl Troop Cross (out of place)

Signum Laudis (silver? FJ?)

Signum Laudis (bronze? FJ?) both appear to be on the war ribbons

??? (might be 1898 Military Jubilee, can't tell since it's a printed "photo"

? 1873 generic War Medal (alast properly granted for China 1901 but often "self-awarded" for WW1)

1914 Red Cross Decoration with war decoration (wreath)

? 1914 Red Cross Decoration again without war wreath or maybbe the 1st Republic version or a marianer Cross-- can't be sure

1908 Military Jubilee Cross

amazing record of WW1 frontline valor by a chaplain who appears to have known at LEAST James the Younger personally--to look at him! :cheeky:

Chris, Rick,

Faldpater Matthias Ortner born 18 Feb 1877 in S?ll - died 14 June 1960.

The cuff rings are the rank distinctions of an A-H Chaplain with the equivalent rank of Hauptmann.

Incidentally Pater Ortner was the Parish priest of the village of S?ll in the Tyrol where I spend my summer holidays each year.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

And here IS S?ll from Glenn's vacation this year:

Father Ortner's church rising in the center: are we all singing the "it's a small world after all" song? :cheers:

Given the data on his age, I would say the photo must date from the 1960s and he just isn't wearing anything post-1918.

.......and small world that it is, the mountains above Soell is also the location of the suicide by hypothermia of our favorite Third Reich Grail Seeker, SS Obersturmfuehrer Otto Rahn (1904-38)! The very church in discussion is where his body was taken after discovery and is purported to contain the particulars of his demise. I will be there in a few weeks to see for myself. :jumping::jumping:

Apologies to Chris for hijacking the thread, but I couldn't let the opportunity pass.

Does anyone know the source of this image?

Cheers,

Mike

Chris,

by all accounts Feldpater Ortner was pretty fearless, tending to the wounded and dying in the foremost front lines often under heavy fire. A Feldkurat in der Reserve in the k.k. Landwehr since 28 July 1908. He was assigned to the 1. Landsturm-Regiment on the outbreak of war and initially saw service in Serbia and then in the South Tyrol. He particularly distinguished himself in the fighting on the Folgaria-Lavarone Plateau in the summer of 1915. His entry in the 1918 k.k. Landwehr Rangliste does not show his EKO so presumably that was awarded later in 1918. The photograph below shows him on the occasion of his 50th anniversary as a Priest. A former Landesschutzen Sergeant (Zugsf?hrer), his portrait his carved on the exterior of the church in S?ll.

Regards

Glenn