News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Medal of Honour

Peter C

I was in the US last week on buisness and had the chance to handle and see several Medal's of Honour,three army and one airforce.

Of the three army MOH's two had a large rectangular central ribon box and one had a small rectangular ribbon box. The ribon box is what I call the central part of the neck ribon that has the small stars.

What I wanted to know is why the difference. Different maker or is the one with the smaller box an earlier piece?

Regards

Peter C

Edited by Peter C

As I recal the larger box was created due to the introduction of the US Airforce MOH, as its has a bigger hanger. The smaller box would be an earlier piece. Did you get a chance to take photos (since thats as lose to legaly having one can get!)

Guest Darrell

Did you get a chance to take photos (since thats as lose to legaly having one can get!)

Really? Maybe in the US.

I was in the US last week on buisness and had the chance to handle and see several Medal's of Honour,three army and one airforce.

Of the three army MOH's two had a large rectangular central ribon box and one had a small rectangular ribbon box. The ribon box is what I call the central part of the neck ribon that has the small stars.

What I wanted to know is why the difference. Different maker or is the one with the smaller box an earlier piece?

Regards

Peter C

The term used here is pad or cravat pad. The smaller type was used on the Army MOH from 1944 to 1964, and is referred to as Type V. The larger pad is Type VI, from 1964 to today.

For the Navy MOH, the 1944-1964 small cravat pad version is Type IX, and the large pad version is Type X.

The Air Force MOH has just one type.

I think hunyadi is correct that the introduction of the Air Force design prompted the change in the cravat pads for the Army and Navy Medals.

Dave

Thanks for the information.

I thought the small pad was early 1950's.

Three of the awards I saw were still in their cases and all cases looked the same and appeared to be early post war and not the type that you see today.

Regards

Peter

The term used here is pad or cravat pad. The smaller type was used on the Army MOH from 1944 to 1964, and is referred to as Type V. The larger pad is Type VI, from 1964 to today.

For the Navy MOH, the 1944-1964 small cravat pad version is Type IX, and the large pad version is Type X.

The Air Force MOH has just one type.

I think hunyadi is correct that the introduction of the Air Force design prompted the change in the cravat pads for the Army and Navy Medals.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but even under the oppressive new "Stolen Valor" law, it's still legal to OWN a MOH, but not legal to buy, sell, trade, wear, or profit from it.....

Bob.

True in the US.

But MANY other countries (like Canada), you can buy - sell - own one if you please.

You may still get into poo poo if you do the deal with someone who has the item in the US and US authorities find out. But if the deal's between people in Canada or between people in countries other than the US, you are ok.

Edited by Darrell