News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian medical officer?

Komtur

This Dr. Klotowsky (?) could be an Austrian medical officer in a rank of an Oberstleutnant (= Generalstabsarzt?). Is there somebody who is able to search for more information by looking in an Austrian ranklist? Thank you in advance!

Dear Komtur,

well, the title "Dr." in old Austria didn't specially mean, that the bearer is an M.D. The Doctor-title meant only, that he finished academic studies at any university and in any field with a (larger) thesis-paper + a second (rather easy) state-exam. So, he could have been anything: Lawyer, teacher, etc., etc.

His rank seems to me more like a 1st lieutenant (Oberleutnant), than a Lt.-Col.: Just two stars and nothing more.

But his decorations look rather good :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: His name is of Polish origin and indicates a rank of low nobility ("Schlachta"), as many names in the telephone book of Vienna ;) .

Dear Komtur,

well, the title "Dr." in old Austria didn't specially mean, that the bearer is an M.D. The Doctor-title meant only, that he finished academic studies at any university and in any field with a (larger) thesis-paper + a second (rather easy) state-exam. So, he could have been anything: Lawyer, teacher, etc., etc.

His rank seems to me more like a 1st lieutenant (Oberleutnant), than a Lt.-Col.: Just two stars and nothing more.

But his decorations look rather good :D .

Christian

BTW: His name is of Polish origin and indicates a rank of low nobility ("Schlachta"), as many names in the telephone book of Vienna ;) .

Thanks for your friendly comment. I know of the titlemania in old Austria - my grandfather was a teacher in Teplitz (the Tschechian part) and was called Professor with the age of 24 in a quite normal technical school. No question you?re right with the Dr. title, but there is a chance, that he?s a M.D. isn?t it?

With the rank you must be also right. I?m not so certain in these Austrian stuff and I thougt it is a question of size of the stars. But I found some pics with the higher ranks like Oberstleutnant and Oberst and their collars are embroided. So he must be an Oberleutnant (or an equal medical officers rank).

Best regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur

Hi Komtur,

if he is a medical officer then he holds the rank of Oberarzt (same as in the Prussian Army) but I can find no officer of that name in the k.u.k. Army, k.k. Landwehr or k.u. Honv?d (in any branch) in the 1918 editions of the various Ranglisten. Similarly no officer of that name in 1914 or 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Komtur,

if he is a medical officer then he holds the rank of Oberarzt (same as in the Prussian Army) but I can find no officer of that name in the k.u.k. Army, k.k. Landwehr or k.u. Honv?d (in any branch) in the 1918 editions of the various Ranglisten. Similarly no officer of that name in 1914 or 1916.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you Glenn. Hm, that?s odd, may be the interpretation of the written name is wrong?

Hi Komtur,

Regards

Glenn

Dear Glenn,

try it maybe with "Klosowsky" or "Klosovsky" :unsure: ?

That would sound also very "slavonic" ...

Christian

BTW: It is also not so unlikly, that our officer got his academic grade after WW I.

Dear Glenn,

well, that might be our "Doctor" :unsure: .

He might have promoted to a Oberleutnant at the end of WW I and got also his orders & medals at the end of the war - or years after the war, which had been possible in Austria.

Christian

Christian,

I could find just one officer with the name Micharl Kłosowski - a Leutnant in der Reserve in K.u.K. Infanterie-Regiment 55. He is only shown with a KTK in early 1918.

Regards

Glenn