News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Isaak Huber (Hueber) 4th BN Foot Arty, Rgt 13

Any information on Unterofficer Huber and the actions that led to his earning the Wurt. GMMM would be greatly apprieciated. Anyone with a copy of the regimental history that could send scans of the appropriate pages (Jan 1918) would be my hero.

thanks

Guest Rick Research

"Isac" Huber received the W?rttemberg Gold Military Merit Medal as an "Unteroffizier" in 13th Battery of Foot Artillery Regiment 13 on 18 January 1918 per the W?rttemberg Personal Nachrichten official gazette.

First name might be a typo. Odd rank title, since I thought the rank in FOOT artillery units then was "Obergefreiter." (In the same way, an "Unteroffizier" in J?ger units was then called an "Oberj?ger.") This would seem to suggest that he was a FIELD artillery NCO serving with that unit... ?

Guest Rick Research

Since Foot Artillery units were often spread around as independent batteries or were hodge-podge assemblages of random batteries stuck together, it's unlikely.

I have a volume on all BAVARIAN foot artillery units, with varying synopses from each for a composite volume, and I think there is a similar for Prussian units called something like "The Honor Book of the Heavy Atillery," but what any given unit might have had as their ration of pages would be up to chance.

That is a nicely done document with good calligraphy laid on thick rather than the usual hectographed notes. I'm rather surprised it didn't come with a nice printed Urkunde.

The date there must be when the medal actually reached his unit to be handed over to him, since it was gazetted 2 weeks earlier.

W?rttemberg is outside my experience, so I don't know what the usual delay might have been in getting a recommendation for one of these approved-- from weeks to months. But chances are pretty good it was for action at the end of 1917.

Hi Don,

all I could find out is the name of the Commander of Fussartillerie-Regiment Nr.13.

From Dec. 17th, 1917 to the end of the war it was K. Pr. Major Caesar.

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

The IV. Batailon (W?rtt.) Fuss-Art-Rgt Nr.13 is in 1918 part of the W?rtt-Artillerie-Kommandeur Nr.27, attached to the 27. Division (2. Kgl. W?rtt.).

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Thanks for the additional info. Do you know if any of those units published a history?

Don, nothing that I know is published for a regimental history.

One more interesting point: from Nov 17, 1917 to Feb. 2, 1918 the 27. W?rttemberg Division was engaged in Stellungsk?mpfe im Oberelsa? (trench fighting in upper alsace).

Before, the Division took part in the third battle in Flanders.

Here is a link to a partial History of the 27. Division:

http://www.1914-18.info/erster-weltkrieg.p...nterie-Division

Hardy

Edited by Naxos