News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photo album from a member of Flieger Abt 37

I have recently managed to obtain a small photo album to a member of Flieger Abt 37. Most of the pictures are of his social life away from the front. All have desciptions of where he is etc either on the back or below the picture.

I would appreciate any information that you guys may know about either the unit or the guy the photos came from.

Here's a few scans taken from the album.

I believe the album belonged to the guy on the far right with the black armband

Edited by Mike Huxley

Guest Rick Research

Ah, alcoholic good times. All of the named officers seem to have survived the war. Problem is there are only 7 named and I see 9, plus the NCO/Officer Candidates at the ends including your Prime Suspect.

However, from faces and the Biblio Luftwaffe Generals' biographies, I can confirm that

sitting 2nd left =

Oberleutnant (5.10.16 E3e) ex Inf Rgt 99 and then mustachio'd Kurt Boettge (b. Arnsberg 13.12.1892, d. military hospital Shogborough, England 19.9.1946). Retired as char. Hauptmann aD, joined the Luftwaffe in 1935, Generalmajor 1.10.41 #2.

He was an observer in FA 37 15.12.17 to 31.01.19-- yet managed to acquire a Finnish Cross of Liberty SOMEHOW.

Flughafenbereichs Kommandant 1/I 1941-45, sent to Norway February 1945 and taken into British captivity.

sitting 3rd left calling for louder music or more booze or "Look everybody! This kid behind me looks just like Harry Potter!" =

Hauptmann (28.11.17) ex Gren Rgt 10 Erich Alt (b. Nicolai, Silesia 26.6.1887, d. Oberstedten in Taunus 22.8.1966), aD in that rank. Joined the Luftwaffe 1934-- Generalmajor 1.2.44 #4.

An observer, he had just taken over as commander of FA 37 on 26 August 1918, remaining in command until 31.1.1919 (presumably the unit demobilized then).

He was quartermaster of Luftgau Kommando XVII (Vienna) 1940-45.

Fantastic Rick :jumping: thanks for the info. It's so surprising what can be found out from a simple picture. Most of all though it's the years of eye straining study and knowledge that brings these pictures to life :cheers:

The original owner of the album is I believe, Willy Haltermann as there is a picture in the album from his friend that has a dedication to him written on the back.

Edited by Mike Huxley

Hello :Cat-Scratch:

Flieger Abteilung 37 was part of the 8 Armee, together with Flieger Abt. 8, 22 and 214. Now I am not sure why there is a "Belgien" map in the first picture, as far as I know 8 Armee served on the Eastern Front (from Tannenberg to Estland) :rolleyes: ?

Anyways, great album.

Regards,

Marcin.

Guest Rick Research

The party photo is dated at Doncourt, September 1918. I can't account for B?ttge's 1918 Finnish decoration at all, but it shows in his Biblio biography photo. Alt's wearing an overcoat :banger: in his so no joy there.

There was one regular officer named Holtermann, a wartime Leutnant of Foot Artillery designated for permanent assignment to a planned Foot Artillery Regiment 22 that never came into existence.

Is it a portrait of Gross?

Maybe regimental uniforms might sort some of them out, though the NCOs in the party photo all appear to be wearing Fliegertruppen uniforms, unlike the officers.

There was one regular officer named Holtermann, a wartime Leutnant of Foot Artillery designated for permanent assignment to a planned Foot Artillery Regiment 22 that never came into existence.

Is it a portrait of Gross?

Rick, unfortunatly the photo of Gross is a civilian picture :banger: ...... However .... I did find another picture in the album that shows an Artillery Officer that looks as if it could be "Gross". If that is the case then it could tie up with our Willy Holtermann being the one you mentioned :Cat-Scratch:

Flieger Abteilung 37 was part of the 8 Armee, together with Flieger Abt. 8, 22 and 214. Now I am not sure why there is a "Belgien" map in the first picture, as far as I know 8 Armee served on the Eastern Front (from Tannenberg to Estland) :rolleyes: ?

Marcin, Thanks for your input. However as Rick has stated the photo was taken in Doncourt (France) in 1918, as shown written on the reverse of the photo. Maybe the unit was moved to the Western Front after the closing of hostilities on the Eastern Front?

Guest Rick Research

It DOES look like a skinny young Bubba 2 over from Harry Potter on the other side of the map!

Definitely Fussartillerie in the portrait above. Can you read the regimental number on his shoulder strap?

I'd say from the general shape of the face, Himmler glasses, and most especially the part in his hair that the guy above is the one seated at far right in the party photo, even though that officer has 2 button cuffs rather than 3.

Rick, I've tried everything to get a clearer close-up of the shoulder strap shown in the picture of the Fussartillerie Officer ..... To me it does look as if it could be 22 :unsure:

I'm still experimenting with my new EPSON V100 scanner, so some added advise on getting that real good sharp image would be of help :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Yup, the planned but never organized Foot Artillery Regiment 22. The Honor Rank List 1914-1918 shows a handful of only wartime Leutnants commissioned into Foot Artillery Regimets 21 and 22 which were never actually created.

But Gross was not a regular among them. I suspect they'll all be 2nd half of 1918 commissions and Glenn has oh, 70,000 or so entries to go before he gets there. :speechless1:

You've done all that can be done with the technology versus the original image. Can't make that better focussed than it is, and there is nothing like that bumpy "art" surface paper to play havoc with crisp details.

No clue on the youthful Leutnant in the custom tailored summerweight M1915 tunic. You're right about the sword, which he's flipped over to the wrong side (must have had a "favorite profile") but I can't read the board number either.

Hard to match up Serious Portrait faces with Grinning Angled Drunks!!!! :cheeky:

Rick, thanks for all you have found out about the guys in the album, this adds alot to the background and research.

I've got to admit that the EPSON scanner is far easier and user friendly than any other that I have come across. The results are better :jumping:

Only 10 more of us True Epson Believers out spreading the Glad Tidings, Mike, and we can start our own religion! :cheeky::cheers:

Oh Yeh .. believe in the power of the EPSON ...... Shrink ..... expand ..... adjust as you wish. All power to the user :beer::jumping:

The youthful Leutnant is one of 4 pictures pasted in the back of the album. My feelings are that Herr Holtermann was connected to the Artillery and transfered to Air Corp at a later time.