News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross 1914 by Year?

Does anyone have any sense as to the number of Iron Crosses awarded by year? There certainly were many more crosses awarded in 1918 than in 1914 but how significant was the difference? I'm most curious about the EK2 but would find info on the EK1 to be just as interesting.

Edited by Brian R

Statistically 1915 was the dry year as far as EKs went. 1914 saw as many awards as 1916, 1917 and 1918 except for the end of 18 where there is a slight rise. This was not a last ditch attempt to raise moral, but to reward the deserving before it was too late.

Best

Chris

Per Privitera:

EKII

1914 ? 174,220

1915 ? 758,640

1916 ? 896,380

1917 ? 907,144

1918 ? 854,000

Post War ? 200,000

Non-combat ? 13,000

Total: 3,803,384

I just bought the book and have not read it in depth as of now. That said, it is not apparent to me what his sources are.

Frankly, I am suspicious?

Would be intereted to see the numbers, and the source.

best

Chris

These stats are quite intersesting. I always would have throught that there would be very few awarded in 1914 as the award was still handed out on a conservative basis (and the war was less than a half a year). I've always been under the impression that they were handed out pretty liberally late in the war (as with the 1939 EK in 44 and 45). I agree that 1915 would have generally been a dry year and things picked up in 1916 with the major battles at Verdun and the Somme.

I have emailed Mr. Previtera for some insight on his source(s). His stat of 13,000 NC crosses seems to be universally accepted (and I'm pretty sure most of these were awarded after the war). Also, I am surprised that the number of post war combattant awards is not higher (as in the 1918 wound badge).

I would be interested in where he got his stats from.

I unfortunately lost the data, but had done a monthly breakdown on about 650 EK award docs and there were proportionally way less for 1915.

Would be very interested where he got these stats from.

Best

Chris.

Edited by Brian R

His reply would be of great interest to me if you would be so kind to share it with us.

As stated, I remain skeptical about his figures? veracity.

wem

These stats are quite intersesting. I always would have throught that there would be very few awarded in 1914 as the award was still handed out on a conservative basis (and the war was less than a half a year). I've always been under the impression that they were handed out pretty liberally late in the war (as with the 1939 EK in 44 and 45). I agree that 1915 would have generally been a dry year and things picked up in 1916 with the major battles at Verdun and the Somme.

I have emailed Mr. Previtera for some insight on his source(s). His stat of 13,000 NC crosses seems to be universally accepted (and I'm pretty sure most of these were awarded after the war). Also, I am surprised that the number of post war combattant awards is not higher (as in the 1918 wound badge).

I have recieved a reponse from Mr. Previtera. It is posted below...

"I compiled the statistics for the research you mentioned between 1996 and 1998. I frankly do not remember all my sources and to retrieve them would be quite an undertaking, if I still have the orginal source material that is. I can say that I recall the numbers came from different sources and I researched them at the Wehrgeshichtliches Museum in Rastatt Germany for the most part. At that time I also visited the Bayerisches Armee Museum in Ingolstadt and the Freiburg Military Archive. The stats were compiled from older reference souces as I recall. That's the best I can do for now. I am surpised that the same information has not been published elsewhere but when I took my notes I sometimes came across information I was not expecting, made notations of what I saw and moved on to topic specific research. If later I come across the notes I will be more than happy to share them. Maybe additional forum members,have come across the same research material. "

I am certainly no expert on EK awards, but I have no reason to doubt his stats. Nothing is perfect, but they generally adhere to what I might expect...

I think this info is interesting especially at a time when Chris, Gordon and others are working on an Imperial EK project.