News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Silky Pogoni

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Anybody who has some, Theme Thread time!

1) A pair of never issued State Security junior officer boards, still held together by one thread:

These are Size 1 = 14 cm long. 6.0 cm wide.

Guest Rick Research

3) State Security Technical Major:

On a superior quality tailored gimnastyorka (padded shoulders :rolleyes: ) with army-type pockets (unpleated) but with blueberry blue piped cuffs, all buttons dated 1954. Part of a complete uniform with unmarked dark blue breeches piped SS blue, and visor cap dated 1954 with insignia updated to 1955 cockade (brass).

Also Size 1, 6.5cm wide.

I had always heard that silk boards were produced during the war (Lend Lease?) but the wonderful condition of this complete uniform suggests either that some were made later or old stocks of insignia were still being used. See closeups below.

Guest Rick Research

200 percent closeups of sections of the above three sets of boards

1) Junior officer =

2) Jr Lt of Administration =

3) Technical Major =

If it reveals anything, note that the pattern of the outsides along the piping runs

//////

//////

rather than each border of the outside

////////////////////////////////////

REMEMBER TO SCAN YOUR POGONI SIDEWAYS LIKE THESE FOR THE SHADOWS OR THEY END UP LOOKING LIKE SHREDDED WHEAT!!!! :shame::rolleyes:

• 11 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

:love: :cheers:

Do you know if the "legend" about these silk boards being made in the United States during the war are true?

The latest--and only one that has a DATE on the buttons--I have ever seen is the KGB Technical Major's uniform above.

I haven't seen ANY silk Soviet Pogoni in about 6 years-- these non-metallic ones seem to be quite scarce.

Do you know if the "legend" about these silk boards being made in the United States during the war are true?

I know that such boards were produced not only in USA (as lend-lease) but also in USSR and in European countries after their liberation and Viktory (1944-1950th) as reparations. All depends from pattern of pogoni's outsides. Your and my pogoni - are USSR made.

I have such example of silk boards. I suppose they are European producing.

Guest Rick Research

:cheers:

When did these silky kind cease being used--mid 1950s? They are attractive, hard-wearing-- and in my opinion more attractive than the metallic bullion ones, which often get dirty and tarnished.

:cheers:

When did these silky kind cease being used--mid 1950s?

It is considered that such silky boards were the first type of boards. Then they used with metallic boards. Soviet-made boards from 1947-48 were completely metallic, but German-made were as metallic as silky till mid1950th.

But this subject is rather unknown for 100%.?

They are attractive, hard-wearing-- and in my opinion more attractive than the metallic bullion ones, which often get dirty and tarnished.

I agree with you completely!!!

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch:

I have never never never never NEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER before seen retired or "dismissed to the reserves" stripes on boards.

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

I know they're in the regulations, but have never seen so much as a PHOTO of those in Real World wear. :cheers:

Very weird rank stars on the Colonel too-- ? metal or embroidered?

The stars on the colonel's boards are brass; I agree that I've never seen other stars like them but, like you say, I've never seen another pair of the retired officer pogoni so that may be the way they all were. Even better, they are the same on the other side. :rolleyes:

Stars on the VOSO lieutenant are bullion. While I have any number of bullion embroidered flag officer stars, this is the only such officer epaulets I have.