News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Scott Medal for Bravery

Hi All...

A friend of the family passed away recently, he was a holder of the Scott Medal for Bravery, the highest honour for bravery and valour which can be awarded to a member of the Garda S?och?na.

I have found this information about the medal on-line, but I cannot find an image of the medal. Can anyone post a link or picture of it?

"The one condition attached to the award of the Scott Medal was as follows:

"No action, however heroic, will merit the award of the Scott medal unless it takes the shape of an act of personal bravery, performed intelligently in the execution of duty at imminent risk to the life of the doer, and armed with full previous knowledge of the risk involved".

The medal is in the form of a Celtic cross, 44mm in diameter. There are five panels on the face. The inscription on the top panel are the words "The Scott Medal" and on the lower panel "For Valor" (note the American influence on the spelling). On the right and left are the eagle and shield of the U.S.A. and the harp and sunburst of Ireland, respectively. The centerpiece is from the Garda Crest with the intertwined letters G.S. - the initials of the words, Garda S?och?na."

Thanks in advance,

Regards - Danny

yeah- sorry there, I was called away to deal with a squirrel infestation incident. (no-not kidding).

The article says it was a $1,000 Edison gold denominated bond at 6% so odds are that the fund is still there accruing some cash!

The pictures are from boddingtons' JOMSA article-

yeah- sorry there, I was called away to deal with a squirrel infestation incident.

LOL! I can honestly say that is the first time I have ever been told that!

Thanks for the picture Ulsterman. As far as I know, this medal is quite rare, with very few recipients.

Regards - Danny

• 1 month later...

Thanks Paul,

That's a really good, informative site you have there. :cheers:

I hadn't realised there were 3 classes involved, now I'll have to find out which grade our family friend was awarded.

Ulsterman's black and white photo of one shown previously didn't really show how surprisingly ugly they look!

Thanks again,

Regards - Danny