News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

RN Ship Muster Rolls

Rick,

Thanks for the reply!

I?m after information on a ship my Grandfather served on and his role on it. It is the HMS Prince Edward. It was a paddle steamer that was brought into use by the Royal Navy in around 1916. The basics I know about it is that it was on antisubmarine net laying duties in the English Channel, off Belgium, and in the Dardanelles.

Most of the other ships he is listed for in his pay book are mainly shore establishments, so I doubt anything can be obtained about what he did there.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers,

James

Hi Laurence,

Long time no talk to!

I have his military personal records, but I was hoping to find out about the actions of the ship and what he was doing on it.

The problems with records like his are, although he was in the Royal Navy, by way of the Royal Newfoundland Naval Reserve. After 1949, his records were given to the Canadian Government. Getting the info from them was a dog and pony show in itself.

Are there any sites that deal with ships histories?

Cheers,

James

Guest Rick Research

The 1919 "Jane's Fighting Ships" shows "Prince Edward" page 99 as "ex 'Prince of Wales' " along with "paddle mine sweepers" "Queen Victoria" and "Duchess of Buccleigh" with "No details known."

Perhaps the original name (and possible return to original civilian ownership) will allow for finding more on the ship.

Hi James

How you doing, It has been a while since we last talked. busy? Dad was from NFLD also and I got those last summer, If they sent them back...maybe from NFLD.

Co you go on WAF often? Try Adam J Haslett, he has a good data bank of Canadian personel.

Well got to warm up truck and go to work. Half and hour from home....bwaaahahahaha....got to love it, home every day cheers.gif

Edited by Laurence Strong

Laurence,

So you've got Newfie in you too....that explains a lot!!! I'm at work and it's only 5 hours from home!!

Rick, thanks for that. I too found that info, but was hoping that there is something more. I'll keep digging!

Cheers,

James

Edited by JamesM