News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, can anybody help me with this little chain? It has a 8 year SS medal, Next-of kind Hindenburg cross (?) and an order of the Red Eagle (4th class?)

Is this original? Can anybody help me understand this set up? Price?

mini.jpg

mini2.jpg

Best regards,

Dan

These chains were worn was on the left jacket lapel with the highest ranking award at the top. This means the order they are mounted is the reverse of what you would find on a ribbon bar or medal bar, which has the highest ranked award on the left hand side as you look at it. The order of precedence is therefore correct - RAO higest, followed by 1914-18 cross, then a long service award.

Regarding the next of kin award, if someone was entitled to this as well as the combatant or non-combatant version, they were supposed to decide which one they wanted and apply for only one of them. So they could decide to have the next of kin award rather than the combatant or non-combatant award.

I can't tell whether the medals are genuine but I don't see anything to suggest that they aren't. I don't know how likely it is that the group belongs together. But they are correctly mounted. The group is worth what you are prepared to pay for it.

Edited by James Clark

Mr.Clark, thank you for the swift and informative reply. I would be very glad to hear some more opinions on its originality. If originial, is it worth 100$ or 500$ or more?

Best Regards,

Dan

These chains were worn was on the left jacket lapel with the highest ranking award at the top. This means the order they are mounted is the reverse of what you would find on a ribbon bar or medal bar, which has the highest ranked award on the left hand side as you look at it. The order of precedence is therefore correct - RAO higest, followed by 1914-18 cross, then a long service award.

Regarding the next of kin award, if someone was entitled to this as well as the combatant or non-combatant version, they were supposed to decide which one they wanted and apply for only one of them. So they could decide to have the next of kin award rather than the combatant or non-combatant award.

I can't tell whether the medals are genuine but I don't see anything to suggest that they aren't. I don't know how likely it is that the group belongs together. But they are correctly mounted. The group is worth what you are prepared to pay for it.

I find prices for miniatures quite difficult, but from what I can find, a miniature SS-DA would be up to Euro 150, a next of kin cross around Euro 20, and a RAO Euro 95. I don't know how much a nice gilt chain like that would cost, if you could find one. So I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer priced this at around Euro 300.