News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chaplain's Wound badge

No such badge was awarded to chaplains or priests. There is a good write up about them in Hamelmans wound badge book. The story goes some monks after the war made them

Up out black wound badge stocks that were stored in a monastery to help support

Their monastery. I have seen them go for around $130 in some auctions.

Anyways here is a shot of one. Did monks make it? I have no idea.

Looks like a real badge that was cut up to me.

don

Did monks make it? I have no idea.

Hi,

Don, I get the feeling that you don't believe the "story" presented in Hamelman's book? For others who may not own Hamelman's Wound Badge book, Hamelman did not write up the story, rather he related the gist of an article written by Gerd Schultz and published in the German INFO Journal, Vol 31, February 1984 (article title "Fromme Heimarbeit"). I guess I'd like to know why the original article, described by Hamelman as "excellent, interesting and WELL-DOCUMENTED" is apparently being derided/dismissed?

If anyone has access to the INFO article, I'd really like to see a copy/scan - please! Post it here or PM me.

Looks like a real badge that was cut up to me.

I can't argue with that as that is EXACTLY what the Wound Badges are. They are very nicely done though. However, by dismissing it, imo the interesting history of the badges is being totally disregarded! One could argue that ANY of items we badge/medal/cross collectors drool over are simply lumps of metal.

In this particular case, the indications are that only a "few hundred" badges were converted - as opposed to the tens or hundreds of thousands of standard black wound badges in circulation. I'm quite proud to say that I own one, and every time I pick it up I appreciate it for the history that it represents.

Regards

Mike K

Obverse...

Mike

I do belive the story in the book.My point is how do know for sure at $130 a pop

that those monks made those badges.If the badges are going for a good price I am sure someone some where will try and make some.The point of this topic

was to get opinions.

don

Hi Don,

Fair questions/comments!

From what I can see, my example and the example you have posted (?Manions?) appear to be constructed the same (the one at the top of the thread has either lost the black paint off the cross or had it stripped for effect. This is the only type I've seen - and I've seen VERY few of them (could literally count them on one hand).

The example in Hamelman is really hard to see. It looks like it may have a wide hinge but the catch seems to be the same as my example. Otherwise the cut-out and construction seems to be the same. The Wound Badge used is definitely a genuine Third Reich example - can't remember the maker as I don't actively collect Black Grade examples. I've attached a scan which shows the construction of my example a little bit better. Note that the hinge and catch actually attach to the rim of the badge, not the back.

I certainly wouldn't pay US$130 for one. From memory I did pay a premium because, as a collector, I wanted one - I already had Hamelman and knew the "real" background but it was still described as a WW1 Chaplains Badge (crazy when it is obviously a WW2 pattern Badge!). It was only about double the price of a standard Black Grade at the time.

Regards

Mike K

Edited by Mike K

Nice clear pictures Mike. I hope some other members will be able to add to the thread.

It would be nice to have lots of examples of this badge for those who would like

To purchase one for comparison. On two occasions I have seen them go for over $125 US. At that price one would hope the monks did make it. The Badge looks like it was made out of real wound badge, but I

Don?t know the maker.

don

Hi Don.

Interesting discussion you started Don. cheers.gif

Maybe we can identify the original wound badge.

I have a few of that type with (all in one) badge, hinge and hook

All from different makers. They all have some differences in style

And sizes of the hinge and hook.

Mike any chance for more detail pictures?

Best regards,

Ronny

First row 67 110 91

81 63 39

16 107

Edited by Ronny