News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI EKII question

Hmmm... heared something new today concerning testing a WWI EKII for it's originality:

"if you shake it and you hear something ringing inside it's original (like there's something loose inside)"

I must confess I have never tried this or heared this before. Anyone else has?

cheers and thanks

Hello Kev

Thanks. So as there are also one-piece construction EKII I guess this test can not be considered a definitive one on originality can it?

Questions

1: Where does the sound come from then? The "inside" hitting the rim? or is there actually something inside?

2: is it possible that a three part EKII does NOT make a sound (if it is sandwiched tightly for example?)

cheers from Belgium

Kevin, you are half correct- it is a core sandwiched in between to frame halfs.

Hallo dond, :beer:

thanks for your reply, the coffee has not kicked in just yet, but I seem to recall mention of

double cores?? http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4976

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4995 or have I got the cart before the horse :unsure:

For a good understanding of the composition, I feel that the whole of this section of The Iron Cross 1813 - 1918 will have to

be read as a refresher. :jumping: I believe in one post there is a picture showing how the crosses were made and the

component pieces.

The sound comes from the core hitting the frame.

And yes some are clamped very tight and make no sound.

And don't forget the ones made in brass, one-piece for the Navy, as the normal ones tended to rust

in the sea-air and stain the sailors uniforms.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: