News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Four piece EK2.

Hello

A very interesting piece. I have never read about or seen a four piece EK2 before. Thanks for showing it.

I note that there is stamped mark on the ring. Is it legible and if so what mark is it ? Is it a known manufacturers ?

I have had a couple of these for some years. My theory is that these were made due to their being much cheaper to make than an EK with a cast iron or steel center. Thin sheets of steel could be stamped out much easier and placed back to back in the frame and did not require the business to have a foundry. I have been able to identify them in this way. Place your thumb and indexfinger on the front and back of the center core and squeeze. If it is a stamped center there will be a slight amount of give due to the airspace in between them. I have also encountered some very light EK1's that I am sure have the same type of core. One of mine is a spangenstuck with a split ring for a medal bar and the other is an issue type.

Another of our collector colleagues, cool, posted these pictures over at the M.C.F. of a couple of four piece Iron Crosses in 2nd Class shamelessly vivisected to bring us these pictures of the autopsy. . . Pictures used with permission of "cool", so thanks are in order. . .

obverse of sacrificial Imperial Iron Cross in 2nd Class:

IPB Image

two piece core, obverse:

IPB Image

two piece core reverse:

IPB Image

Edited by Bill Garvy