News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Duck Season Opens!

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Everybody!

..... DUCK!!!!!!

Hard to tell when this un-captioned photo was taken from the civilian clothes-- 1920s? The Old Boys are blamming away with what look like 1866 needle-guns.

Cannot make the monument or flags LEGIBLE!!! :banger:

(Notice the :o expressions on the little kids just behind the firing party! :lol: )

Guest Rick Research

This is also from the late Tony Colson's collection. :beer:

I've tried darkening, contrast altering, even in negative... but blurred focus in the original is blurred focus in any attempt at improvement. The salute must have gone off just as the shutter was snapped.

I've been trying to tell if the name on the monument is the town where this was taken, or an 1870 or WW1 battle. I can't tell.

Anybody?

"Sie gaben ihr Alles ihr Leben ihr Blut

Sie gaben es hin mit heiligem Mut - f?r uns"

these lines are from a poem by a student from Charlottenburg Gymnasium.

The words can be found on many war monuments build after 1918

I streched the picture a bit and inverted the colors - you can see the word LEBEN on the side.

Full text: IHR LEBEN IHR BLUT

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

I think the monument says Groberz, which is a town in Brandenburg. I sure don't see G?rlitz.

Chip

The size of the monument and the large list of names indicate a fair size town. - There is no town by that name.

Hardy

The name on the monument could be: post-1062-1194156913.jpg

All the last three letters of the name on the manument appear to be normal-width, small letters (no "i", no "l") - see the image enhancement below.

The word beneath the cross appears to be "Groberz"...

groberzex4.jpg

All the last three letters of the name on the manument appear to be normal-width, small letters (no "i", no "l") - see the image enhancement below.

Yes, it does look like Groberz and not like G?rlitz. I agree. Due to some kind of distortion we seem to read the word Groberz.

Now, find the town of Groberz.

There are at least 100 names of war dead on the cenotaph - if the place ever existed it should be mentioned some where.

It might not be G?rlitz but, after investing some of my time, it's the best I could come up with for now.

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Now, find the town of Groberz.

There are at least 100 names of war dead on the cenotaph - if the place ever existed it should be mentioned some where.

It might not be G?rlitz but, after investing some of my time, it's the best I could come up with for now.

The thing is that the name on the monument might not indicate its location. Instead it could be the name of a place (or a person) that the monument commemorates. So the monument could very well be (have been) in G?rlitz... if someone knows the place, they could say whether it is really so or not.

Guest Rick Research

That's what I wondered-- maybe each side is the name of a battle, with text and not necessarily names. The weapons are from the war of 1866...

agggghhhhh.

Hallo Gents :cheers:

I tried the combination 1870 Sroberz in a web search and got the following hit:

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/dkm_deutschl...de_groebers.htm

:unsure:

and:

Regiment den Feldzug 1870/71 mit, beendete seine Studien darauf in Marburg, ... ??ber die franz?sische Sprache? (in Gr?bers ?Grundri? der romanischen . . .

at:

http://www.peter-hug.ch/lexikon/Suchier

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva