News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Researching the Iron Cross....

OK, I am a doc guy.

And I started out with a simple document with the action entered on it... "On the Avre..."

WWI is a confusing mixture of rivers "On the Somme" "On the Aisne" "On the Ailette" "On the Marne""On the Avre"

Places "In the Champagne""At Rheims""In front of Verdun""At St Mihiel"

But I was stuck with "On the Avre" for this one.....

So.... I wanted to understand where this award was made and what the Unit was up to.

The result is what I consider to be the perfect example of what i picture a page of my site to be...

1) Militaria displayed.

2) The story behind it

3) Links to an easily understandable overview of the "Big picture"

4) Further links to related topics (Other awards to the man, to men he served with)

The 2) is a description of the fighting at the place in question (Regimental level) the 3) puts it in the context of the bigger battle (Army level) and there are maps that help follow at both levels.

http://www.kaiserscross.com/41815/112201.html

Thats how I like my iron crosses... all paper and wrinkely.... ;-)

You dont need to know anything about the man... but you can find out about the battle....

Hope you enjoy it ;-)