News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help needed with a translation.

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I've have a long sword that may or may not be authentic, though my guess is that it is NOT. :banger:

The sword, which I will post in its entirety after I research it, is 53 inches in length. It could be a copy (real?) No-datchi, I hope the spelling is correct.

On the blade and tang there are some markings that look like Kanji. The area around the "Kanji" has been etched away with acid, or at least that would be my best guess. The whole idea of acid etching to bring out markings on a Japanese blade is suspect in my books to begin with. I have photographed these markings with the hope that some of our members could give me a translation. I checked with a Chinese friend of mine and was told that the markings were not Chinese.

I've had this sword for quite some time but because I thought from the start it was a copy I have never included it with my Japanese sword display.

Any help you could give me would be graetly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Sorry Brian,

I would have too agree with Paul. If the kanji were "shoso script" then we could try to make a signature of it. This however is definitly not kanji...looks more like sanscrit. As for the acid etching...never.

What I do find interesting is that it is on a No-Dachi. Regardless of the Signature, the blade may still be real and reliable.

I suspect the signature was etched into an unsigned blade (people are capable of doing some odd things).....Please post more pics when you can.

Henry