News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can Anyone Decipher This Name for Me? Simon, Rick - HEEEELP!

Hi All -

This name tag is from a GJ Oberleutnant tunic that has loops for the DK. Can anyone here decipher the last name and tell me if anyone with that name won the DKiG or DKiS?

I suspect that Friederich may in fact be his first name, but I am not certain - it could be his last.

As always, many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Don

Edited by DonC

Hello Don.

While I do not intend to steal any thunder from the experts you did mention here are my two cents worth:

Last name to me reads as "Friedrich". The D.K.i.G and in S. reference book by Horst Scheibert and the one by V. Scherzer list an Oberleutnant Waldemar Friedrich, I./Jg.Rgt. 207 as recipient of the D.K.i.G. with date of 21.May 1943. The first name of Waldemar could be identical with what appears on the name tag you pictured..

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard, thank you very much for your reply - several people have mentioned "Waldemar" as a potential name, and that helps a great deal to have a name and unit. Since he was in a J?ger Regiment, as opposed to a Gebirgsj?ger unit, I wonder if the Edelwiess might be a posrt-war addition...

Don

Bernhard, thank you very much for your reply - several people have mentioned "Waldemar" as a potential name, and that helps a great deal to have a name and unit. Since he was in a J?ger Regiment, as opposed to a Gebirgsj?ger unit, I wonder if the Edelwiess might be a posrt-war addition...

Don

Hello Don.

Not necessarily. This officer's actual, initial assignment may have been to Gebirgstruppe which remained his branch or arm . He was later assigned to a Jaeger formation of which several were formed during the war as you may well know. His rank at the time of the D.K.i.G. award was Oberleutnent indicating "aktiv" or regular army not Oblt.d.R.which supports my thinking expressed here

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi All -

This is the tunic in question, which I have now procured - named and dated (1940) to Oberleutnant Waldemar Friedrich, who won his DKiG on May 21, 1943 as a member of First Company, J?ger Regiment 207. Friedrich was MIA on December 19, 1943 as a Hauptmann in the Ukraine. As of now, that's all the information I have on him pending more research. My thanks to Simon Orchard, Bernhard Holst and Rick Lundstrom for their help in uncovering information on Herr Friedrich.

The tunic itself is a real honey in a great doeskin wool - most likely a walking out tunic. Tailored in Munich, where Friedrich was born. The only ding is a (unfortunately most likely postwar) snag on the collar - otherwise I would say it's in excellent to near mint condition.

I always appreciate what a site like this can do - without Bernahrd, Rick and Simon, I would not have known where to begin. Thanks, gentlemen!

Don

Edited by DonC

• 11 months later...