News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Landwehr Infantery Regiment No. 1

A friend of mine who is not really into military stuff asked me, if i can provide him info on the Bavarian Landwehr Infantery Regiment No. 1 (see attached scan) for more information as his great grandfather was serving in there and he would like to get to know more about his military service.

Any help is greatly appreciated as my books on bavarian WW1 troops are more than limited.

Thanks a lot Christian

Guest Rick Research

Oddly enough, Bavarian Landwehr Infantry Regiment 1 pulled off one of the strangest coups of the war--

the IInd Battalion captured a narrow gauge TRAIN carrying British and Belgian troops in 1914, for which a particularly nice colored "diploma" showing the prisoners being led away was given to them:

Apparently these were trolley-car like vehicles, which kept coming around a bend-- straight into the surprised Bavarians hands!!!

I wish I had an original-- this is an illustration from a book.

Guest Rick Research

Members of the 5th Company, KB LIR 1 posed on patrol near Antwerp 27 November 1914 so Adolf Hitschler :rolleyes: could send this photo of himself and his pals back to his mom in Augsburg.

The bearded fellow front right could have been the very model for the Moerbeke certificate. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Great grandfather was EXTREMELY lucky. From what is not covered over by the battles participation strip-- and that tells you this was no "line of communications" rear area outfit-- he served in the 9th Company (IIIrd Battalion) from 5 August 1914 to 29 November 1918. This is virtually unheard of:

1) that he was never wounded and then re-assigned to some other unit, or

b) simply re-assigned as a veteran to the endless war-replacement units created during the war.

The key here may be his "Kommando," which says he was the Company (... under the battles list).

Promoted 21.3.16 (under the battles list)

Decorated with EK2 (date under the battles list) and ? Bavarian Long Service award for .... (under the list).

Here--from "Das Bayernbuch"-- is the regimental commander of KB LIR 1 from 2 August 1914 to 15 January 1917,

Wilhelm Edenhofer (1864-some time after 1935) retired after the war as a Generalmajor.

Edenhofer's medal bar was sold (It has never surfaced again--I have been watching for it) by Jan Kube 3 August 1986

Unfortunately in those primitive days, Edenhofer's group was dispersed. By mere coincidence, from another Kube sale, I got Edenhofer's Mecklenburg-Schwerin "MK2" award document, which was sold without any mention of who the recipient was! :speechless:

Rick, thanks a million times!!!

He will be very happy to get so many info - as he was some kind of expecting more or less nothing!

And i'll try to force him getting the "Bayernbuch" to get a general overview on bavarian troops.

Added the pic with the "put aside" battle-list.

Thanks again a lot Christian

Guest Rick Research

Aha, EK2 13.5.17 and Bavarian IX Years long service medal (remember-- war years counted double) 10.1.18. Funny he never got a Bavarian MVK3X, but I once had a similar group to an infantry private who went on into the LaPo with no BMVK3X either.

He was promoted etatsm?ssiger Gefreiter 21.3.16 and was

the company shoemaker.

No wonder they didn't want to lose him!!!!!

• 11 years later...