News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Letter concerning a "white-black" EK award

Guest Rick Research

A businessman who did something for the war effort. He hasn't got a civil service title, so presumably a civilian not a Beamter.

This is typical of the mass-- 10,000 of 13,000 "white blacks" were handed out AFTER the war.

A businessman who did something for the war effort. He hasn't got a civil service title, so presumably a civilian not a Beamter.

This is typical of the mass-- 10,000 of 13,000 "white blacks" were handed out AFTER the war.

Thanks for the info. I have always imagined the 10,000-13,000 "white-blacks" went to Beamten and not civilians (especially since Chris has basically proven that this was not a "non-combatant at the front" type of award. Wouldn't a civilian winner be less common than a military man, despite their being well behind the line (like Bremen or Berlin or....)?

Guest Rick Research

Not enough of a statistical sample to know. We've got 1918 civil servant position lists now, thanks to Paul C, showing ALL awards to them but nothing for "mere civilians." Because so few white-blacks were awarded DURING the war anyway, no way to extrapolate Beamten holding them in 1918 with who got white-blacks AFTER the war.

I doubt I've seen more than 50 documents for white-blacks--either actual award Urkunden, or transmittal/enclosure letters like yours--in 40 years.