News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need your opinion on this Knight cross of Baden Militaer Karl Friedrich Verdienstorden?

It`s 3rt Modell (1919-1918) Silver. Stamped with "SILBER 800" on ring. But could be also "SILBER 900"

Edited by jaba1914

Hello Jaba1914:

I used to own a piece identical to this that was stamped "SILBER" and "900" on the ribbon ring. These pieces are made in an identical style to the period originals. I was not 100% certain that it was a pre-1918 award however, so the piece was sold in auction to a buyer in Germany over ten (10) years ago. I surmised at the time that it was probably a post-1918 piece, but a true "wearing copy".

I have seen others like this for sale once in awhile. Unfortunately, there is no way to be certain regarding their period of manufacture. Of course, you know about the forgeries that came out a few years ago which have opaque green enamel on the laurel leaves (also, the laurel leaves are very thick).

I have seen a few "convincing-looking" pieces appear for sale in auctions of a northern-German auction house within the last few years. I suspect however that they are merely expertly made forgeries.

I consider the seller that is offering you this piece very reputable from my experiences with him. However, I personally will not purchase one of these pieces again unless it comes with documents, photos of the recipient, etc. (fresh from the estate of the family). It is like buying a PLM! The question is: How good are the copies that are out there?

I'm sorry to not have better news or advice!

MfG,

"SPM"

I think the piece is good as yet written on a German forum ...

I have seen a few "convincing-looking" pieces appear for sale in auctions of a northern-German auction house within the last few years. I suspect however that they are merely expertly made forgeries.

I bought one of those ... it looks in my huble opinion pretty good and identical to my father's that came from G. Seymour Collection. I hope both (or all three) of them are good ...

:(

I think the piece is good as yet written on a German forum ...

I bought one of those ... it looks in my huble opinion pretty good and identical to my father's that came from G. Seymour Collection. I hope both (or all three) of them are good ...

:(

saschaw i hope also its ok. It`s so dificult to find out. Thanks again for your opinion.

Hello Gentlemen

Since we are on the topic. I am curious on this example. The green leaves are a different shade not sure if that is a good sign or bad, any comments are most welcome. Thank you.

Thats one of the copy that saschaw show in a german forum.

Regards

Alex

Thats one of the copy that saschaw show in a german forum.

Regards

Alex

Hi Alex

Many thanks for informing me, best to pass on this piece being offered to me. I seldom encounter this order and regret to hear that this particular order is being copied :( enormously.

Sincerely

Brian