News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Franz Joseph "Locket"

Rod

I have noticed that the Franz Joseph medal is often with a "locket" on the reverse.

Would those of you that have this item care to share what is included in the "locket"... pics .... snips of hair????

Rod

Hi Rod

In regards to the Franz Joseph Order, have always seen a locket on the reverse of the badges. Never had one with something inside if so that would be a surprise. Also would like to know what was the orginal purpose of the locket..

Sincerely

Brian

Guest Rick Research

Although it seems puckishly romantic, I suspect the "secret compartment" was actually nothing more than a particularly well made way of putting all the various pieces pieces together on assembly.

Many gloriously splendid looking Orders have centers that are basically stuck together with a form of Icky Gunk in there that has long since petrified. :speechless1: Not many have a tranverse "rod and cotter pin" assembly like plain old Red Eagle 4s.

Yes, all austrian-made pieces, have the reverse medallion hinged to the base of the upper arm.

As a matter of interest, in my collection I have a knight's cross of the FJO with hallmarks of Rothe & Neffe (the "FR" in a lozenge), made of gold, and its reverse medallion is fixed, with no hinge. Ok, the reverse medallion's outer circlet bears an engraved/enamelled dedication so, this could be an explanation for the absence of the hinge.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Guest Rick Research

Could you post a scan? I love the way so many Austro-Hungarian awards were personalized as gift presentations!

Hello,

here, my 2 FJO knight's crosses (in gold) with dedication engraved/enamelled on the reverse medallion's outer circlet. Please excuse me for the disgraceful quality of the scans, but I have a stone-age flat scanner (from 1999) and my digital camera is in my office.

Both pieces bear the marks of Rothe and they are from the early WW1 times.

Best wishes,

Enzo

Guest Rick Research

We'll forgive you in exchange for perfect scans later. :rolleyes:

:cheeky:

These are the first personalized Franz Joseph Orders I've ever seen. Long Service Cross show up with mother of pearl plates all the time, and I've seen Military Merit Crosses with the white enamel reverse disk replaced for a dedication.

Your Franz Josephs are SUPERB! :cheers:

May I add some pictures from my reference files ??,

sorry to say I have no idea to whom the pictures belong,

as I found them online yonks ago,

however if the item belongs to any of our members I will delete the pictures if requested.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hello,

it was a good idea to remind that also the Goldenes Verdienstkreuz (with and without crown), when made in gold, have the obverse medallion that can be opened, in this case thanks to an ingenious system of a loop and pin device.

I would like to say that trying to open both the medallion of the FJO and of the GVK can be dangerous for the fragile enamel!

best wishes,

Enzo

Edited by Elmar Lang

Rear with the added medallion with:

*VOM OFFIZIERSKORPS * DER LUFTFAHRTRUPPEN*

It also carries hallmarks: "F.R.", (?) and "A" and

two stampings to the ribbon ring of "F.R." and "A."

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hello,

of course, we're talking about centre medallions. But it's interesting to note that the reverse one on the gold-made badges of the Franz Josef Orden is usually hinged to the upper arm (with the exception of the pieces made by Rothe & Neffe) and that the Goldenes Verdienstkreuz (with or without Crown) has the obverse centre medallion that can be opened.

The fine piece of Kevin (does it still preserve the original case with gold-impressed similar dedication?) is a "Silbernes Verdienstkreuz mit der Krone", whose reverse medallion's outer circlet bears an engraved-enamelled dedication. This piece is also made by Rothe and -differently from the other austrian manufacturers- that jeweller made silver crosses with added centre medallions.

Best wishes,

Enzo

• 2 weeks later...