News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gold was, and in some countries still is, a monetary standard and symbol of wealth. It is also used in chemical and industrial applications for all sorts of purposes. Gold can act as a catalyst in some chemical reactions, is a superb electrical connection, etc.

Once the war got under way, donating gold jewelry and other items was the patriotic thing to do. If you gave your wedding ring, you'd get an iron one in exchange. Presumably the gold them went to the war effort.

(A) Okaaayyyy. Let's say your the Kaiser and proud of your gold Pour le Merite. Do you donate it and get a replacement one in silver-gilt, or bronze, and lead by example? Or do you wear it and flaunt it, while expecting others to do the same?

(B) Instead of Willy ("There can be only ONE.") you and we are lower in the food chain. Most of us wouldn't have been wearing gold medals, but say you did. Do you donate it and get a replacement one in a lesser metal? Do you wear it and flaunt it, even though other lesser mortals are being patriotic and donating their gold items?

© Or would some of you be like me, entitled to nothing, hoping that when I got shoveled under it wouldn't be in a mass grave and at least the cross would be wood? Then keep on doing what is expected. (Dienst-treue!)

(D) Hang on to what little you have and not donate anything because the "leaders" don't appear to be practising what they preach.

(E) Vote for the SPD, and consider your options.

(F) 'em all. :unsure:

Les

F..... I would have a hard time giving money for a war that is run by a bunch of Generals that can't figure out an alternative to a large frontal assualt and getting 10's of thousands killed. Or how about the High Seas fleet that cost billions of DM to build and spend most of the time in port and wound up at the bottom of Scapa Flow.

On the other hand I would give Gold to help the lowly foot soldier who spend most of his time in the mud and muck and had to go over the top at the orders of some General who was all warm and comfortable back at HQ.

The way you put it, pretty easy: F (if not 'G')

Ah, the advantage of time.

Do you really think German citizens would have viewed

it that way in the early years of the war?

Based on the number of "gold for iron" medallions that we see today?

Hello All:

I believe that "revisionist history" is human nature when writing from the "losing side" after the gun barrels have cooled. No one wants to admit that their side did not reign supreme on the battlefield overall. No one wants to personally admit defeat. It's the old "I really didn't think that it was a good idea" type of statement after it is all said and done. If things had turned out differently, would these folks be as vocal?

I believe that most folks accept their lot and things bigger than themselves. May God bless the souls of all of the soldiers who fell during the Great War. They marched off for God, King (for some Countries), and Country with cheers! If only we had as many folks with their fortitude and conviction today! (Don't get me wrong, there are a good many of our "boys" "over there" right now who have plenty of conviction and fortitude!).

Sorry to digress! Thank you for your patience!

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello All:

I believe that "revisionist history" is human nature when writing from the "losing side" after the gun barrels have cooled. No one wants to admit that their side did not reign supreme on the battlefield overall. No one wants to personally admit defeat. It's the old "I really didn't think that it was a good idea" type of statement after it is all said and done. If things had turned out differently, would these folks be as vocal?

I believe that most folks accept their lot and things bigger than themselves. May God bless the souls of all of the soldiers who fell during the Great War. They marched off for God and Country with cheers! If only we had as many folks with their fortitude and conviction today! (Don't get me wrong, there are a good many of our "boys" "over there" right now who have plenty of conviction and fortitude!).

Sorry to digress! Thank you for your patience!

"SPM"

While I accept many of your point, "SPM" [no name]. any objective glance at the various positions of the 1914 German political parties on the "left" would suggest that were was substantial opposition to the war from the outset and -- for as long as they were allowed free speech -- this continues throughout the war both in official and "unofficial" poltical channels. Whatever it is you mean by "revisionist history", maybe it targets those who intend to obscure that objective historical reality?

Contemporary refences are quite irrelevant, of course.

Many, you must recall, but we are told to forget, opposed the war all along. Then as now, mate, then as now.

Read your history.

1914 is one thing, 1916 is QUITE another (but many opposed it all along).

I don't dispute the fact that there were always those who opposed the war.

I also believe that their numbers increased, as time went on.

Given the hardships and food shortages, that is understandable.

Of course, it's difficult to gauge their number.

But one might use public demonstrations as a very rough indicator.

If so, it would appear that a smaller percentage of Germans opposed the war

at it's onset than (say) the number of Northerners who opposed the War

Between the States. The draft riots in New York, the near rebellion in Baltimore,

the turmoil in Kentucky and other border states, as well as numerous smaller

events eclipse anything in Germany until (perhaps) the last years of WWI.

Interestingly, northern dissidents are viewed (generally) as malcontents, or

(more commonly) as out and out "sympathizers" to the opposition. While German

dissidents are viewed in more positive terms. Could those different labels relate

to who won and who lost?