News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Here is my two new medal bars. This time older ones!

Firts one is realy great, real Bavaria combat vet one. I would like to know what Bavaria award is the first one (what I have to start chasing now :unsure: ).

1. ?????

2. EK2 1870

3. Franco Prussia war commemorative medal

4. Bavaria, War against Austria cross 1866

03595211686047_l.jpg

0359521911437c_l.jpg

Second one is strange. Its defenitley pre war one.

Is it right that there is only:

1. Order of the Red Eagle (what would match better 4th or 3rd class?)

2. Imperial Russia Order of the Stanislav (probably without swords?)

03595241d65f64_o.jpg

035952615cda77_o.jpg

All comments are welcome!

Regards,

Noor

The first one is a very nice Bavarian Vet as you explained, most likely here is a Bavarian MVK 1st Modell, maybe with swords, maybe without. The swords were instituted in 1892 for those who got their MVK for bravery in 1866 and 1870/71 and had to be bought be the recipient theirselfes.

I'm not sure about the second one concerning rank and time. The combination looks like a pre war officer, but I know the tag from the back from post war bars, but may be wrong on this or it was used both pre and post war. Furthermore the style would be unusual for an officer with two enemaled orders. I'd rather say a NCO is more likely, which means the Prussian silver medal "Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen" and a Russian medal for zeal or something similar ...

Thanks saschaw!

How Bavaria MVK 1st Modell looks? I have just MVK with X but as far I know, they look almost same or not:

031948799586c8_l.jpg

How hard is to get right period cross? I am familiar that there was ribbon change before IWW (am I right? - first ones awarded just with so called noncombatant ribbons :rolleyes: ). Because there is a EK2 as well, is there biger chance that MVK was with X?

Regards,

Noor

Your MVK is 3rd modell, 1913 to 1918. The first modell is silver with golden centers, blue enemaled and not easy to get. It looks mostly like a MVO 4th class, but has no flames between the arms. There might mach one with swords, but only if the bar was worn longer than 1892 (no swords by then at all!) and he bought swords at a jeweler ...

:rolleyes:

Here's a similar veteran. One doesn't realize the cross is enameled but it is ...

Guest Rick Research

Since the hook has fallen off the first space, there's nothing to suspend anything from there any more anyway.

Exceptionally :love: 2-bar. I agree-- an NCO level bar, whether military from the period when long service awards were pinback brooches, or for a civil servant of some type.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a "Milit?r-Verdienstkreuz mit Schwertern" from the times that the Bavarian MVK was just one-clased. In 1905 it was divided to two, in 1913 to three classes. Since 1905, this old version was an equal to the new 1st class - but they're not too common.