News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

BTW-- he had quite a training change from 1941 to 1942 ! :Cat-Scratch:

We also need a native Russian speaker to explain the designation of his battery command when he got the Nevsky-- as far as I can make it it English, the Battery was designated "curtain fire" (ognevoi) implying some sort of rapid fire/barrage weapons system?

Citation translation:

Thanks to all the help from the formum members and a special thanks to Mondvor for your review and revisions of my translation attempt.

1. Last, first and middle names Onishchuk Semen Timofeevich

2, Rank Lieutenant

3. Position, unit Commander artillery platoon battery 1965th

IPTAP 43rd Independent Exterminator Anti-tank

Artillery ?Orshansk? Red Banner Brigade RGK

Is recommended for Order ? Alexander Nevsky?

4. Birth date 1923

5. Nationality Ukranian

6. Party membership Communist Party candidate since 1944

7. Participation in the civil war and other military actions aimed at the defense of the USSR (where and when)

Participant in Patriotic War October 1942 Western

Front , 3rd Byelorussian Front, 1st Baltic Front, 3rd

Ukranian Front

8. Wounds or contusions received during the Patriotic War Light wound 10.8.44 serious wound 10.8.43

9. In Red Army since 1941

10. Drafted by what district military commissariat Golovapenskim RVK Odesska Oblast

11. Previous awards: Order Red Banner by Decree of the Artillery Commander of the 3rd Byelorussian front #062

14.8.44 Order Patriotic War 1st class by Decree of the Artillery Commander of 6th Guard Army #069/N 8.10.44

12. Permanent home address of his/her family Odessa oblast Golovazhensky region village of

Matveevka Father Onishchuk Timofey Gabrilovich

I. Brief description of personal feat or merits

As a platoon commander, he was holding a permanent firing position (POP ? ?Postoyannaya ognevaya pozitsiya? ? Permanent Firing Position) near the station Nadivinim (north-western to the city of Dunafeldvar, Hungary). At 25.01.45 with the firepower of his unit were repelled 3 enemy attacks knocking out 2 tanks and 1 armored personnel carrier. After the battery commander was wounded, Comrade Onishchuk took over the command of the battery. Through his skillful leadership all enemy attacks were repelled and knocked down 6 enemy tanks and 2 armored personnel carriers. In this fight Comrade Onishchuk personally was present at the most critical places and inspired the soldiers for successfully repelling hostile counterattacks.

For displaying courage and bravery in combat he is deserving of the award

Order of Alexander Nevsky.

Commander 1965 IPTAP

(signature) Lt. Colonel M. Gryaznov

4 February 1945

Regards

Rick

Guest Rick Research

Service Record part 2 =

12.7.41 Cadet at Kharkov Aviation School

March '42 Cadet at Podolsk Artillery School

Sept 42 Commander of curtain-fire squad, 609th Rifles Regiment, 139th Rifles Division, 31st Army, Southwest Front

Aug 43 (illegible but I think for recovery from wounds) E vacuation H ospital 1829, 31st Army

Sept 43 Commander of curtain-fire squad (hereafter "CFS") 60th Rifles Rgt, 139th Rifles Div, 31st Army, Kalinin Front

Nov 43 (illegible but for recovery from wounds) Hospital (no number) 31st Army

December 43 commander of CFS, 1965th EATA Rgt, 43rd EATABrigade of the Supreme Command Reserves, 3rd White Russian Front

March 45 for recovery from wounds, Hospital 2575, 3rd Ukrainian Front

July 45 Commander CFS 1965th EATAR, 43rd EATAB

signed off on by Guards Colonel Scribble of Water Transport Local (Raion) Military Commissariat, city of Odessa. (The name of the neighborhood was "Water Transport" rather than "Lenin" etc)

Discharged to the reserves as 2 star Lt (probably from lack of promotion/length of service) 8 March 1947.

His lack of promotion is inexplicable to me. There was NO blot whatsoever on his record-- quite the contrary.

Kristof:

Thanks for giving everyone a go at the translation. I have wondered how I could itilize my brief but interesting college studies of the Russian language.

Thanks to this hobby I can expand into the enjoyable task of what the research has to say. This section of this forum is a terrific opportunity

for my continued studies. With the input of so many great chaps on the forum the research come to life.

Regards

Rick