News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet ribbon bar

Guest Rick Research

Lovely retired career officer's bar with North Korean Liberation Medal on bottom!

His OPW2 is the 1985 Jubilee version (1985 Jubilee Medal). His ORS and MMM are for 15 and 10 years service-- 20 years service medal (so had passed 15 by 1957), and had at least 25 years active duty in (Veteran Armed Forces).

So... he joined the Soviet military between 1938-41, served for at least 25 years-- and was probably retired before 1970 (no Lenin Centenary). There is a 1985 Jubilee Medal ribbon, but no 1988 Jubilee, so you have a "snapshot" of his life between those years.

Most likely a retired Lieutenant Colonel. :beer:

Very nice Rick, thanks so much!

You're solid on the NK ribbon? At one point I thought it might be Czech as the colors are similar and I thought I'd noticed Czech ribbons being extra wide.

But the NK award has something to do with service in the removal of Japanese occupation forces in NK, correct?

I was going to presume the RS and the CSm were long service awards (along with the obvious 20 year award) but you've nailed that.

But does he not have the 70th Jubilee medal (1988) as his second to last *Soviet* ribbon?

Another question; how is his OPW2 for sure an '85 award? Just 'cuz he was an alive vet in 85? No chance of it being a wartime award? I notice he's got no campaign medals :( is that an indicator?

Edited by Eric Gaumann

Guest Rick Research

You're right about the 1988... my attention had wandered. :blush: That absolutely nails any possibility of a delay in jubilee OPW2 and the 1985 Medal, confirming it was a jubilee version and not a "real" WW2 award.

He probably "sat out" most of the war in the Soviet Far East (hence no combat awards) and was returned there for the final campaign (Victory Over Japan) across North China into Korea.

It always amazes me how MANY groups we see where there are no combat awards for WW2. With all the millions dead, it seems "impossible" but we've all got groups like this.