News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Did Nicholas Karpov Escape The Gulag ?

This is an entry page from the military service book of Nicholas Karpov. As I understand various entries, Karpov was a machine operator who was educated through the eighth grade. He was a member of neither the Komsomol nor the Communist Party. His military service seems to have begun in Moscow in 1941. But there is a reason that I raised the question of whether he might have seen the Gulag. Before I post further, I was hoping that someone might be able to help with this page of the military service booklet, and tell me what service, if any, can be determined from the entries.

Thanks very much !

Guest Rick Research

Easier with a scanner FLAT than curved with a camera. Something about focal distance and my bad vision....

He served in the 1st Machine Gun Regiment as a machinegunner 20.10.36 to 10.12.38.

Discharged to the normal reserves at the end of that time of draftee service. (NOT a good time to have been in the army!)

Recalled in June 1941 as a rifleman in 170th Rifles Regiment

"From 18.07.41 to 30.05.45 found himself in captivity" so the Germans got him.

Thank you, Rick !

Unfortunately, Santa didn't bring me a scanner for Christmas.

I was wondering if POW status was mentioned, hence my "Gulag" question, since I have had the impression that vast numbers of Soviet soldiers who were taken captive ended up being sent off to Siberia. Here is another document relating to Karpov's imprisonment. I think that he must have been lucky to survive it.

Guest Rick Research

Ended up in Buchenwald...

his Soviet military service book should have this and all other "pertinent details" among the entries.

Look for any :unsure: gaps in dates where "nothing" seems to have happened after the war. :catjava: