News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russian Jewelers

Yankee

Hello Gentlemen

There are two jewelers with the same initial Alexander Kordess and Albert Keibel. They both produced the St.Stanislaus widely. How does one tell the difference who it was made by, since they both have the same initial that was marked on the reverse? Any info would be of great help.

Sincerely

Yankee

Alexander Kordes, St Petersburg 1839-74.

As far as I can find in reference He made NO orders.

Albert Keibel started in his fathers businerss and didnt take over until his death in 1874.

SS orders can also be dated in the differences of apperance.

Early orders had differenc style eagles and enamel.

George

Alexander Kordes, St Petersburg 1839-74.

As far as I can find in reference He made NO orders.

Albert Keibel started in his fathers businerss and didnt take over until his death in 1874.

SS orders can also be dated in the differences of apperance.

Early orders had differenc style eagles and enamel.

George

Hi George

Thanks for informing me :D that the only AK marks belong to Albert Keibel. As I understand Albert Keibel stoped being in business around 1900 and Eduard became the court jeweler to the Czar. Are the Keibel pieces that have a lighter red transparent enamel on the arms and are almost flat an earlier style of Albert Keibel then the ones found with a darker enamel on a more bulb type arm?

Sincerely

Brian

Hi Gentlemen

It would seem that there are two jewelers that used AK, however 40 some years apart. Any idea last year for the St.Stanislaus with wing tips touching one another. Unfortunately I don't have access to my example for a quick scan, hopefully in a few weeks I can get to it. Perhaps those flat arm examples belonged to the earlier AK marking of Antonovich Kovalskij if he made the that order & the later bulbous arms came from Kiebel.

Sincerely

Brian

The Assayer is different that the Maker of a piece.

The assayer mark is usually within the kokoshnik, and refers to the gold or silver content.

George

Hi George

If the assayer is with the gold content mark, then the "AK" on the reverse side of the arm would be only for Kiebel. Now I know exactly, thanks for that info :cheers:

Sincerely

Brian