News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British OR SD cap

Hello:

Can anyone "kinda" pinpoint when this was used (WW1, between wars,WW2, after)? When I got it the leather sweatband had been tacked in a couple of places with old glue so I took it off. Also, the top of the cap hinges to lie flat.

Thanks

Dave

sd1ik1.jpg

sd4hc1.jpg

sd3gi4.jpg

My guess is that cap is tailor-made for a Senior NCO (or a wealthy conscious-looking Other Rank), dated from between the wars or later. The shape is Other Rank but the Barathea cloth and lining are similar to officer's private purchase caps - WW1 OR cap had an oilcloth lining.

The chinstrap looks odd though, being in one piece. Standard ones were of two piece construction with two brass buckles for OR, two leather slides for WOs and Officers. It might be not the original one.

Eric

Hello:

Can anyone "kinda" pinpoint when this was used (WW1, between wars,WW2, after)? When I got it the leather sweatband had been tacked in a couple of places with old glue so I took it off. Also, the top of the cap hinges to lie flat.

Thanks

Dave

sd1ik1.jpg

sd4hc1.jpg

sd3gi4.jpg

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the shape of the cap looks to me like a Brigade of Guards cap, not an artilleryman. Also the sharply angled brim. Any thoughts?

Hugh

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to tell from photos, but the lining construction looks modern, the fabric, the underside of the peak, that velvet insert, very similar / identical to some current issue British police caps- perhaps the original sweatband was removed because it was of plastic or whatever or had modern issue markings & so was an obvious giveaway as a modern item, & replaced with a glued in leather one? The rest of the cap appears to be in pristine condition.

The chinstrap looks like a piece of cut down strapping or whatever, it isn't a chinstrap proper with metal "buckle" or leather sliders or leather sliders.

The badge is of the pattern worn c1902 into the 1950's, the buttons however are QEII, the Royal Horse Artillery are still issued his style of cap.

I'd go for modern issue to RHA.

the buttons however are QEII

Well spotted ! I should have taken more care in examining the pictures. RHA have a different cap badge though.

Dave, if you consider removing the cap badge - not the original from all apparences - you may find a shape left by the previous one.

I can't remember off hand - do RHA wear their own pattern badge in this style of cap? I think that they did or still do wear the basic "gun pattern"?

Either way, looks like modern issue to RHA with the wrong badge in either case, tho' it's not impossible to have "mismnatched" crowns on buttons & badge & still be genuine.

• 2 months later...

The side buttons are Arttilery either RHA or FA . Amy be the private purchase or NCOS cap would make sense .I think it is post war .The Canadians wore similar caps into the 1930's when the SD cap or bereets took there place. Is the RHA badge not smaller ten the regular RA badge ?

mark

The buttons are Queens Crown, the badge is Kings Crown, the chinstrap is not a chin strap, it's a bit of leather strapping. The RHA still wear as far as I'm aware, the standard RA gun badge on caps & the small, crowned oval strap & cypher badge on the beret, but this may have changed in recent years, I may be wrong. The velvet - type edging to the front of the cap I would imagine is of modern construction, the missing sweatband was, I suspect without seeing it, of plastic, otherwise it would probably have had it's modern markings obliterated by artificial aging, rather than have been removed & replaced by a glued in leather one. Is the peak lining paper/cardboard or plastic? The lining The hinged strut to the front of the cap sounds like it's a modern or perhaps private purchase feature. Are the buttons gilt & do they appear original to the cap? If so, an officers modern private purchase cap, otherwise an Other Ranks modern issue cap, as far as I can see.

The buttons are Queens Crown, the badge is Kings Crown, the chinstrap is not a chin strap, it's a bit of leather strapping. The RHA still wear as far as I'm aware, the standard RA gun badge on caps & the small, crowned oval strap & cypher badge on the beret, but this may have changed in recent years, I may be wrong. The velvet - type edging to the front of the cap I would imagine is of modern construction, the missing sweatband was, I suspect without seeing it, of plastic, otherwise it would probably have had it's modern markings obliterated by artificial aging, rather than have been removed & replaced by a glued in leather one. Is the peak lining paper/cardboard or plastic? The lining - modern synthetic? The hinged strut to the front of the cap sounds like it's a modern or perhaps private purchase feature. Are the buttons gilt & do they appear original to the cap? If so, an officers modern private purchase cap, otherwise an Other Ranks modern issue cap, as far as I can see.

Edited by leigh kitchen