News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Weimar troops? Uniform tunic covers?

A recent EBAY purchase, and from the lack of breast eagle insignia I guess the troops are from the Weimar era. However I cannot find any reference to the tunic covers which the troops appear to be wearing. Any help would be most appreciated.

Guest Rick Research

I can't see whether they are wearing pleated box lower pockets, but those are army or naval land forces M1936 tunics-- they only have 5 front buttons. The older tunics had 8 button fronts.

The "lobster bibs" are simply laundry covers to keep their uniforms clean during marksmanship practice. Not the sort of thing that turns up in collections! :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Yes, but the covers are for the upper body generally and were in use earlier in budget-conscious days. I suspect (but do not know) the intent was more to cover the expensive embroidered shoulder straps worn by enlisted ranks--hence both shoulders. I've seen them in photos, but haven't got any myself in my vast subterranean archives. It's an unusual photo, since snapshots were usually taken in more "formal" formations.

I can't tell army versus naval land forces because I can't see the lower pockets clearly, but I'd say this is circa 1936/38 from the new tunics and old helmets.

Thanks again for your speedy reply. The original is in that typically small ( and infuriating ) format of photos of this period. I ve looked under a glass at the pockets and the only one I can make out to any degree is the right hand man with the 'x' marked under him. His pockets appear to be unpleated but again its a small image so I can't say for certain. One things for sure though and that is they have just come from the rifle range. Wet knees and dirty boots! I remember it well!!!!!!! :violent: