News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M1947-1955/56 Airborne Insignia

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Authorized on 18 August 1947 to distinguish actual AIRBORNE TROOPS from "mere" parachutists qualified for jumps but NOT in paratrooper units, with gold insignia for officers and silver for enlisted comrades, this badge was worn on the left sleeve by officers until banned on 30 June 1955, and totally dropped for enlisted ranks on 4 August 1956.

The branches of service piping around the uniform material diamond shape were

crimson for rifles units

red for artillery

black (as here) for signals, engineers, and other technical troops

air force blue for instructors

When worn during parades in Moscow, the insignia was moved to the RIGHT arm of marching paratroopers so it could be seen by the most senior of comrades up on the reviewing stand.

At today's show I found this private photo of a paratrooper Yefreiter nick-named "Tolya," who dedicated it to his brother and wife in memory of his military service in Krivoi Rog, 10 June 1952:

I'm not sure exactly what the tiny wreathed Red Star badge is next to his "mere" parachutists badge:

He was probably in an airborne rifles unit. His badge would have been silver colored: