News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently obtained this all mecklenburg ribbon bar from a good friend. I thought I could identify the last ribbon, as I surely believe it is a mecklenburg ribbon, but the webpage I was using to help ID german ribbons has evaporated. Can anyone ID the last ribbon for me? grey central field with thin pink on the edges.

Thanks for any opinions,

Steve

Guest Rick Research

Nothing at all official from Imperial Germany matchs, unless there has been major loss of dye color fastness.

This is a 1930s type bar, and the mis-match between the ribbons suggests some sort of home made cheapo or a parts bar. The first ribbon is too wide and has been doubled on itself to fit. The second ribbon has snags that look like a piece unsewn from something else. Last is the ? mystery ribbon.

Guest Rick Research

That's what I was thinking, if the green faded away and left the red pinkish looking. THAT would make for an extremely peculiar trio. I've seen Mecklenburg and Anhalt togteher in LARGE staff officer groups, but not in an Iron Cross-less threesome.

PS, I'm not buying "faded Anhalt" without pulling it apart and seeing green inside. My experience is that you might get a front fade... but the top and bottom edge where it folds over the bar will retain more of the original color... I'm not seeing any darker color (especially green) on the edges of Steve's bar.

I think if it were Anhalt, as Rick mentioned, there would be green less faded at the edges as it wraps to the back.

For some reason, I truely believe this is a Meck. ribbon, but for now it is still a mystery!

Makes sense.... with a Griffin Order, he certainly could have picked up the Danish Order easily.... Now here's the fun part... for me. I'm thinking Wendian Crown in first. The early RK ribbon was wide enough it would have needed to be folded if our unknown man was being a bit frugal......

Having said that... the ribbon bar style (components-plate, pin/hinge/tabs) is post 1915. So maybe he could bring himself to update the style... just not his ribbons!!

Makes sense.... with a Griffin Order, he certainly could have picked up the Danish Order easily.... Now here's the fun part... for me. I'm thinking Wendian Crown in first. The early RK ribbon was wide enough it would have needed to be folded if our unknown man was being a bit frugal......

Having said that... the ribbon bar style (components-plate, pin/hinge/tabs) is post 1915. So maybe he could bring himself to update the style... just not his ribbons!!

I prefer the term "frugal" over "cheapo" (sorry RL!).......however, not being a pessimist, but couldn't the first ribbon be two strips of narrow FF2 ribbon folded to give the appearance of a wider ribbon. And, unfortunately, the second ribbon could also be something other than a Griffin order......but I much prefer your line of thinking, Rick! Especially if the third ribbon turns out to be a non-German award.